Topic Options
#3124 - 07/10/17 06:13 PM Is it Packet Loss?
JoshRamsey Offline

I am trying to diagnose degraged resonse from a specific host with public IP 66.192.213.34.
When I "feel" the poor response, a continuous ping to that host shows about 6% packet loss.

Pingplotter rarely shows lost packets on the last hop.

I attach a pair of exports: one to the host in question and one to www.pingplotter.com - as a baseline comparison.

Before I consider swithching ISP's, do you have any diagnosis / suggestions?

Thanks!

Attachments
stingerjDotrdhincDotnet170710.pp2 (768 downloads)
www.pingplotter.com!170710.pp2 (511 downloads)

#3125 - 07/11/17 05:35 PM Re: Is it Packet Loss? [Re: JoshRamsey]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Josh,

Thanks for getting in touch.

When you mention that a continuous ping shows 6% packet loss, are you referring to a command prompt ping? The PingPlotter results that you've provided here don't explicitly point to any issues; you've got a pretty small amount of packet loss at the final destination in both traces (between 0.1% and 0.2%), but it's honestly tough to say if that's causing the issue you're experiencing.

That doesn't mean that you're not experiencing issues, though - it just means that a bit more work may be required to capture them.

If you're having issues with your connection, your goal should be to correlate your experience with your network connection to any patterns you can identify in your PingPlotter results. For best results, you'll want to trace to the service you're having trouble with. When you experience problems, make note of it in PingPlotter (more details on how to do this here: http://www.pingplotter.com/manual/time_line_graphing.html), so you can see if any "problem" patterns are present in your PingPlotter results when you're actually running into problems with your network connection. We cover this practice in quite a bit more detail here:

http://www.pingman.com/kb/47

Your next goal should be to eliminate any variables (that you have control over) to see if you can try to isolate what the culprit in your issue is. We've got a great article that provides some tactics and best practices on this front:

https://www.pingplotter.com/fix-your-network

Hopefully this helps get you headed in the right direction! If you should find yourself with any other questions - please let us know.

Best wishes,

-Gary

#3126 - 07/12/17 02:29 PM Re: Is it Packet Loss? [Re: Gary]
JoshRamsey Offline

Gary,

Thanks for your prompt and helpful reply with links to supporting resources.

Yes, when I run a continuous ping from command line [ping stingerj.rdhinc.net -t], I get from 3% - 10% packet loss.

I agree with you: the PingPlotter results don't show much of a problem. When I experience the problem with my application, there is a direct correlation with the lost packets reported in the ping.

The times at which my ping reports lost packets usually matches periods in which PingPlotter indicates lost packets at one of the intermediate hops.

I run PingPlotter on a computer with a wired connection to our Internet router. I am pretty confident that my network, and the connection to my ISP is solid. I also believe that the connection at the last hop is good. My gut is something in the middle is congested and causing the lost packets in my command - and affecting performance of my application.

Many of the supporting PingPlotter resources say to ignore "red herring" lost packets if they don't impact the last hop. Can you please elaborate on that? Why should lost packets between intermediate hops, that don't affect the last hop, be ignored if the ultimately manifest in last packets back to my router?

Here is one clue that I would like to describe to my ISP: before I experienced these lost packets (about two months ago), tracert showed a different path to the same destination than the packets take now.

I suspect my ISP has changed its "peering" which is causing these lost packets.

I will keep reviewing the PingPlotter support materials for ideas on how to report a specific issue about which I can seek support from my ISP.

Please let me know if you have any additional ideas.

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod