Topic Options
#3116 - 07/03/17 11:28 PM would like to hear some input here
Dutchie Offline

Hello,

Currently trying to figure out if the internet outages are related to my modem/router or that my ISP (comcast) is the issue.

had ping plotter running for almost 24hrs... and I saw a lot of red. including on mu first hop my router... although I am not sure if this is the main problem... I believe my Netgear C7000 has a history on not performing on comcast very well. however I feel there is more to it then my router alone.

anyway would like to here some thoughts on my PP2 files.

Packet type is UDP only then I saw some movement going on the plotter. if it was ICMP everything was red....

Hope somebody can help in the right direction.

Attachments
test1.pp2 (773 downloads)
test2.pp2 (674 downloads)

#3120 - 07/05/17 04:51 PM Re: would like to hear some input here [Re: Dutchie]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Dutchie,

Thanks for getting in touch.

These are definitely some pretty painful looking results. When you mention that you're having outages - are you only experiencing this with certain sites/services; or is your *entire* internet connection going out periodically? You mentioned that using ICMP resulted in 100% packet loss, was this only happening with the two targets you were tracing to here (Netflix and Facebook) - or were you getting similar results with other targets (like Google)?

You've got quite a bit of packet loss throughout your route (that's reaching the final destination in your traces). Your goal should be to eliminate any variables (that you have control over) to see if you can isolate what the culprit here is. If you're on a wireless connection, moving to a wired connection is a *great* first step. If this machine is already on a wired connection, you might try swapping out the cable that’s connecting it to your router. If possible, you could also try connecting to a completely different network with this machine to see if the issue may be related to your machine itself (if you see the same results on a different network - this would be a pretty strong indicator). Anytime you're eliminating a variable, make sure to keep PingPlotter running so you can see if you notice any changes in your results (as this can help you identify what may be causing your problem).

We've got a great walkthrough guide that goes over how to use PingPlotter to troubleshoot network issues like this one, which may prove helpful to you here as well:

http://www.pingplotter.com/fix-your-network

Hopefully this helps out! If you should find yourself needing any other guidance, please let us know.

Best wishes,

-Gary

#3121 - 07/06/17 02:58 PM Re: would like to hear some input here [Re: Gary]
Dutchie Offline

Gary,

Thanks for your feed back..
It took some time but I think I got some good results sofar.
Going over the graphs and your suggestions I have rulled out the switch and the cabling.
Ended up being the netgear modem/router. Why the netgear is doing this I have no idea but installed a older Arris surfboard modem/router and the packetloss and latency have definitely improved.. (see attached PP2)

However I believe also on comcast side there are some issues

got some more questions:
-what does it mean when we have complete, 100%, packet loss at the target only. See the pp2 of bankofamerica.
-I still have a few sites running in the orange zone.. nos.nl pp2 and facebook.com pp2 it seems to be happening at the comcast server. correct? is this something that can be solved by them?

Anyway this tool has been a great help.

Arnout

Attachments
www.bankofamerica.com.pp2 (640 downloads)
www.facebook.com.pp2 (612 downloads)
www.netflix.com.pp2 (617 downloads)
www.nos.nl.pp2 (623 downloads)
www.rabobank.nl.pp2 (597 downloads)

#3122 - 07/06/17 02:59 PM Re: would like to hear some input here [Re: Dutchie]
Dutchie Offline

and one more screenshot with the overview

Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 2.43.53 PM.png (146 downloads)

#3123 - 07/06/17 04:59 PM Re: would like to hear some input here [Re: Dutchie]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Arnout,

When you trace to a target and it reports 100% packet loss, it just means that site doesn't respond to ping requests (or isn't responsive to the packet type you're using). If you're interested, we cover this topic in more detail here:

http://www.pingman.com/kb/8

As far as the targets you're seeing in the "orange zone" - these targets are just reporting a latency that's in your "warning" range (which you can edit by going to "edit" -> "options" -> "display"). There are several factors that could be causing these targets to report back with latencies in this range. Your distance away from the targets *is* a likely factor here (as "nos.nl" is located in the Netherlands, which can result in a higher latency if you're running your trace from the U.S.). If you're interested, we cover what's normal for latency (as well as packet loss) in more detail here:

https://www.pingman.com/kb/42

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

-Gary

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod