Topic Options
#376 - 01/03/01 01:25 PM initial comments
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am new user, downloaded the latest Beta last night. Noticed a couple things you might want to know. On the "Round Trip:" line, if the current value is ERR then the left side of the E is clipped (regardless of how wide I try to make the window or column).<br><br>I understand/agree with the red label/lines on the lower graph, but a minor comment is that the colors don't seem as consistent for the ping time - the data is black, while the y axis label is green (and the x axis is also green) - wouldn't it be more consistent and help users understand the left vs right axis labels if the label color matched the data color?<br><br>I don't know quite how to report this bug but things got into a weird state after that Round Trip Current ERR that I mentioned above. For many hours I had been running a route where the 13th hop was my RT311 router which showed 100% loss and the 14th hop showed my final destination (machine hooked to the RT311). As an experiment I then connected machine directly to the net without the RT311. Route changed, with 14 becoming 13 as expected. Then I switched back - commandline tracert can trace fine but pingplotter isn't making any sense on the 13th/14th regardless of if I stop/resume. It is showing only the 13th and no additional route change (of course I don't know if it was supposed to).<br>When I totally exited the program and restarted, it showed the 13/14 as expected.<br>If you want to trace to my host, send me an email (dougho@niceties.com) and I'll be happy to tell you the address.<br><br><br>

#377 - 01/03/01 02:36 PM Re: initial comments
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hi.<br><br>I can't duplicate the problem with the truncated "E" on "Err" unless I make the "Cur" column too narrow to include the whole word. If I widen that column, it seems to show the entire letter just fine, though. Can you possible send me some screenshots on this?<br><br>As for the coloring ... I'm not sure that any colors on the labels would be particularily meaningful. Because the graph color changes depending on the latency, the green isn't really tied to the "All's good" green color in the lower graph. I'd be happy to hear your suggestions about which colors would clarify things, to be sure, however (it's hard for me to see good ideas sometimes because it all just makes sense to me ).<br><br>I'll do some testing a bit later on the "13/14" problem. I'm imagining the situation that makes this behave as you've discussed here - the problem being that hop 13 *seems* to be the final destination - and it's constantly timing out just as if that server was down. If your netgear 311 had been a router that had responded, it would have noticed the route change and looked farther on for your destination. In any case, I'll have a look at this a bit later and try to duplicate.<br><br>Thanks for the feedback!<br><br>

#378 - 01/04/01 01:05 AM Re: initial comments [Re: Pete Ness]
DougHo Offline

Loc: near Seattle WA
Further info on the left edge of E in boldface current Round Trip: perhaps when I saw that problem, I was not properly increasing the width of column from the default. Certainly it was at default when clipped (maybe the default width was set manually for three digit numbers or non-bold Err). But when adjusting the column I think I was dragging column's left edge (the one to the right of Avg) while I believe I later realized I needed to be dragging column's right edge (the one to the right of Cur).<br>Of course it is very minor cosmetic only.<br><br>I'm still trying to learn how to use Ping Plotter best - for example when I have my 13th hop that always says 100% loss (with no IP address or name or avg/cur listed), I wish there was some way to right click or something to disable querying that hop (while still performing the 14th and all the ones before 13th). Because of it, the "Querying" status always sticks around about 10 seconds.<br><br>If not obvious, I enjoy Ping Plotter - it does much more than any program that I was about to write for testing myself. It easily lets me spot things like cable modem generally slowing down after around 6pm to about midnight weekday, and that slower "spikes" at various times seems due to my incoming DSL host that I'm testing (rather than my outgoing cable modem).<br><br>

#379 - 01/05/01 11:55 PM Re: initial comments [Re: DougHo]
Anonymous
Unregistered

doug-<br><br>i suggest you try installing the latest firmware (v3.23 as of this writing) for your RT311. I too had very strange problems with ALL non-command line (multithreaded) pingers (PingPlotter included of course) until I flashed to the latest firmware.<br><br>This may be an issue with your router only.<br><br>Just a thought.<br><br><br>

#380 - 01/06/01 01:11 AM Re: initial comments
DougHo Offline

Loc: near Seattle WA
Thanks, I have been running 3.22 firmware in the router since the new year. I don't see 3.23, although I see a newer 3.22 which says it is Beta only for hang during Half-life game (I don't play games even though I know the founders of that company).<br><br>I agree the problem relates to my router config - I have set it its NAT/SUA thing to forward default access to a Win2K PC (but special-case a few UDP/TCP ports to another machine). If I was letting the router itself answer the ICMP for the external IP address then I doubt there would be such a problem.<br><br>

#381 - 01/13/01 12:55 PM Re: initial comments [Re: DougHo]
LukeDukeNY Offline

You can download 3.23 from here:<br><br>ftp://ftp.zyxel.com:21/public/prestige/p310/firmware/3.23/p310.zip<br><br>worth a try.<br>Also, with SUA set to forward all packets to a default LAN Ip, you will have trouble. You should allow the firewall to respond to ping requests and only use NAT/SUA for specialized apps.<br><br>

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod