Topic Options
#3745 - 08/18/20 01:47 PM Need Help Getting ATT to see there is a problem with their service
Cebic Technologi Offline

Hi, I am a novice PingPlotter User, but I think I know enough to interpret the results I have attached that ATT ISP service is the problem. I have attached a couple of screen shots and the PP2 files. I have been testing to google.com and my firewall gateway IP.

I would like to use the group's expertise to help me better understand the results so I can share that information with ATT Tech Support. Can you reply with details that I can use, please?

Thanks in advance and feel free to ask for more details.

Attachments
S37FWGateway.pp2 (326 downloads)
S37Google.pp2 (324 downloads)
TOKS37PingplotterFWGateway.png (69 downloads)
TOKS37PingplotterGoogle.png (71 downloads)

#3746 - 08/18/20 05:56 PM Re: Need Help Getting ATT to see there is a problem with their service [Re: Cebic Technologi]
AustinB Offline
Network Support @ Pingman Tools

Hello there,

Thanks for writing in! I'm happy to help out with your results here.

I appreciate all this data - right off the bat, it looks like your router/gateway/firewall is in the clear.

However, the PP2 file for Google is only 60 seconds (when you export data, you'll need to change the Focus period to adjust the amount of data), so it's a little difficult to say where the problem is really starting.

I'd recommend opening Timeline Graphs for hops #2 through #4 to see where the latency and/or packet loss is starting(don't worry about the packet loss at hop #1, it's dropping ICMP TTL Expired packets, which doesn't affect your connection). You're looking for a pattern of latency and/or packet loss similar to that found at www.google.com.

I hope that helps a bit! Feel free to upload another sample as well and I can take a look; let me know if this leaves you with any questions as well.

#3747 - 08/18/20 06:52 PM Re: Need Help Getting ATT to see there is a problem with their service [Re: AustinB]
Cebic Technologi Offline

Austin,

I have another PP2 File that is longer and I have attached it here. It looks to me like the failure is happening in one or more of the intermittent hops, but I don't trust myself to be able to read it properly yet. Take a look and let me know what you see, please.

Attachments
S37networktest.pp2 (331 downloads)

#3748 - 08/19/20 12:31 PM Re: Need Help Getting ATT to see there is a problem with their service [Re: Cebic Technologi]
AustinB Offline
Network Support @ Pingman Tools

Hello again!

Thanks for that other PP2 file, much more data now smile

To be honest, these are actually the best PingPlotter results I've ever seen to Google.com. These levels of packet loss and, especially latency, are well above average.

The "failures" you're seeing in those intermittent hops (100% packet loss) are devices that are dropping ICMP TTL Expired packets (this is what the intermediate device sends back to PingPlotter as a response to an ICMP TTL = 0 packet). This in no way affects your connection.

There were a couple of lost packets that did seem to carry through from hops #1/#2 to the destination, but the level is well within the acceptable range. To learn more about what's "acceptable", click this link:

- https://www.pingplotter.com/wisdom/article/is-my-connection-good

However, if you are indeed experiencing a connectivity problem with a certain service, app, game, etc., I'd love to learn about it in detail. This will be easier for me to recommend certain procedures + tests with PingPlotter!

Cheers,

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod