Topic Options
#3631 - 03/31/20 10:44 PM 2nd Hop starting to show Packet Loss, max ping 317.
DjBofo Offline

I have Cox Gigablast, coax running from modem straight to tap outside.
Netgear CM1000 connected to a Netgear R7000, via ethernet cat6 cable.
iMac connected to router via ethernet cat6 cable.

I can't even game comfortably because this latency variation is constant. My download speeds will drop intermittently too.

Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 7.38.12 PM.png (787 downloads)

#3632 - 04/01/20 02:10 PM Re: 2nd Hop starting to show Packet Loss, max ping 317. [Re: DjBofo]
Poe Offline
Pingman Tools Support

Hi DjBofo,

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your internet connection but thanks for reaching out and writing into the forum!

I took a look at the screenshot that you attached and it looks like there is some intermittent packet loss and pretty high latency spikes showing starting at hop #2 and going all the way to the final hop. Since hop #2 is a private address (10.174.0.1) I'm guessing this is likely your cable modem (Netgear CM1000). Running a WHOIS query on the 68.6.10.128 IP (hop #3) returns Cox Communications which you mentioned is your ISP.

I'd go ahead and do a reset on the modem. If you're still getting the same results I'd suggest swapping out the cabling between the modem and router to see if that makes a difference. If neither of those makes a difference you may need to try a different modem. You can order one or pick one up and try it and if it doesn't fix the issue often you can return it for a refund. If a different modem doesn't fix the issue then you'd need to do some more in-depth troubleshooting.

If you have any other questions just let us know, we're always happy to help.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

-Poe

#3633 - 04/01/20 03:02 PM Re: 2nd Hop starting to show Packet Loss, max ping 317. [Re: Poe]
DjBofo Offline

Okay, I’ll reset both the modem and router to its factory settings and swap out the cable. I bought both of these from Best Buy 2 days ago so I doubt it’s a faulty device.

What kind of more in depth troubleshooting ?

#3634 - 04/06/20 12:23 PM Re: 2nd Hop starting to show Packet Loss, max ping 317. [Re: DjBofo]
Poe Offline
Pingman Tools Support

Hi DjBofo,

Thanks for the reply!

If your router and modem are brand new the likelihood of one of them being the issue is small

One of the most important pieces for tracking down an issue like this is to gather enough data that you can start to see patterns and narrow down your results to identify where the problem might be. We recommend gathering at least 48hrs of data so that you have a good sampling to look at.

Here are some recommended steps you can take:

1. Trace to the site or service you are having issues with (Netflix, Fortnite server, Zoom.com, etc.) and use it and try to have the issue happen (note down the times you're seeing issues) *see below for how to find your gaming server IP address.
2. You can also trace to your ISP (generally hop #2 or #3). A "WHOIS" google search on the IP address usually provides results about who the IP address is registered to.
3. Trace to your router (Usually the first hop in the route - 192.168.0.1 or something similar).
4. Trace to your NIC (Network Interface Card). In Windows, run Command Line as administrator and type ipconfig and look for the IPv4 address - this is your NIC IP.
5. Trace to a reference address like Google.com as a baseline comparison.
6. Finally, trace to your loopback address (127.0.0.1). This lets you verify that any issues you are seeing are not related to the hardware or IP stack on the machine you're using.

*To find your game server IP address you can open the command line (in Windows WIN+R -> type "CMD") or terminal (on Mac cmd+SPACE -> type "terminal" -> Enter) and type "netstat -n" this will give you a list of all of the connections that your machine is connected to. You will see headings for Protocol, Local Address, Foreign Address, and State. Look through the list and see if you can find a program name that seems like it might be your game and grab the Foreign Address and that is likely your game server IP address.

After 48 hrs, in your All Targets Summary tab, double-click each entry to bring up their Timeline Graphs. Scroll through the graph (using the slider at the bottom) and when latency or packet loss occurs, compare the graphs and look for where the issue begins.

If you would like us to take a look at the data we'd be happy to just let us know by sending an email to support@pingman.com referencing this post and we'll get the data from you and let you know what we see.

Let us know if you have any questions, we're happy to help!

Thanks,

-Poe

#3663 - 04/30/20 06:41 PM Re: 2nd Hop starting to show Packet Loss, max ping 317. [Re: Poe]
lessmess Offline

Hi,

I'm having a similar issue as DjBofo where my second hop is introducing a lot of latency variance. I may start my own thread to explain my particular details, but I had a question first: Is there a reason, Poe, that you aren't sure if that second hop is his modem or not? I would think that for anyone who has a router connected to a modem and nothing in between, the modem would always be the second hop, right? I hope I'm wrong...

My second hop's IP address does not match my IP address (according to any IP lookup website). Further, when I trace my IP address, I get no latency variance. Another question, actually: Why don't I see my own IP address on the trace route?

Any help is appreciated.

#3670 - 05/08/20 07:21 PM Re: 2nd Hop starting to show Packet Loss, max ping 317. [Re: lessmess]
Poe Offline
Pingman Tools Support

Hi lessmess,

Thanks for your question!

To answer your question about modems it can vary because some of them are router/modem combination units. That said, modems in general, don't have IP addresses when they're just modems. Modems, unmanaged switches, and hubs don't have IP addresses because they don't need them.

You should be able to take a look at the hop #2 IP address and see if it's within the private ranges (192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255, 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255, 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255) and know if it might be in your network or not. If it's not in these ranges then you can do a WHOIS lookup to see who it is registered to. It sounds like maybe you already did a lookup and found that it's not yours.

You can also use the Local Network Discovery tool built into PingPlotter (Tools -> Local Network Discovery) to see everything that's on your network. This can let you know if the private IP that you are seeing is in your network or your ISP's network.

To answer your second question, you don't see your IP address (ie your NIC IP address) because PingPlotter only shows hops in the route. So effectively, you are hop #0 if you want to think of it that way and hop #1 should be to your router.

Let us know if there are any other questions that come up, we're happy to help!

Thanks,

-Poe

#3674 - 05/11/20 02:53 PM Re: 2nd Hop starting to show Packet Loss, max ping 317. [Re: Poe]
lessmess Offline

Got it. Thanks for the clarification!

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod