Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3572 - 02/06/20 05:46 AM Please help, my ISP is being useless
imme Offline

Hello,

I'll first off say that I don't understand much of this! What I do understand is that my internet connection is appalling and my ISP have so far not been helpful. It's been going on almost 3 months now.

I am getting a lot of packet loss on the second hop. It always starts on the second hop and it carries right through to the end every time. It isn't constant, but it's very frequent (often every few minutes or so). There are usually a few devices connected to the router, but the issue remains even if just one is using it. It isn't unusual for the packet loss to end up reaching over 80% loss.

For the last 3 months (when I moved to this property) my connection has been barely usable. So far my ISP have had me do a lot of power cycling and turning things off and on again and yes I'm sure it's plugged in. It's connected via ethernet cable. They sent me a new router about a month ago and it didn't do anything different. Today they said the next step was to send me a new router... That was when I had had enough, clearly they are not listening as they already did that and it didn't work! I asked what the next step after that was... they didn't know...

Anyway, so hopefully I've added a couple of images to this post so you can see what I'm talking about and someone can point me in the right direction so I can point them in the right direction!

ETA: this is an NBN FTTP connection in case that makes any difference.

Attachments
0402pm.jpg (122 downloads)
0602am.jpg (124 downloads)

Edited by imme (02/06/20 05:58 AM)

#3573 - 02/06/20 10:38 AM Re: Please help, my ISP is being useless [Re: imme]
AustinB Offline
Network Support @ Pingman Tools

Hi Imme,

Thanks for reaching out! I'm sorry you've been having so many difficulties getting this issue resolved with your ISP.

I can't say for sure using only screenshots, but there does seem to be a problem originating from hop#2. This could be a issue with the line between #1 and #2, or an issue with the device itself.

If you could please export your file and send it over (either through this post or send it to support@pingplotter.com), then I'll be able to pull that data in and take a closer look. To export, click File -> Export SampleSet.

If the device at hop#2 is not in your local network and your ISP isn't convinced your local network is healthy, here are some recommended steps you can take to narrow the results and prove your case:

1. Trace to the site or service you are having issues with (Netflix, Fortnite server, Zoom.com, etc.)
2. You can also trace to your ISP (generally hop #2 or #3). A "WHOIS" google search on the IP address usually provides results about who the IP address is registered to.
3. Trace to your router (Usually the first hop in the route - 192.168.0.1 or something similar).
4. Trace to your NIC (Network Interface Card). In Windows, run Command Line as administrator and type ipconfig and look for the IPv4 address - this is your NIC IP.
5. Finally, trace to your loopback address (127.0.0.1). This lets you verify that any issues you are seeing are not related to the hardware or IP stack on the machine you're using.
6. Trace to a reference address like google.com
7. After 24-48 hrs, in your All Targets Summary tab, double-click each entry to bring up their Timeline Graphs.
8. Scroll through the graph (using the slider at the bottom) and when latency or packet loss occurs, compare the graphs and look for where the issue begins.

You can also share your results with us by changing your Focus field to reflect 24 hours (or more), then clicking File -> Share -> Create Share Page - then, copy/paste the URL of your share page in your reply.

- PingPlotter Sharing

Tracing directly to intermediate hops is important because some devices can down-prioritize ICMP requests where TTL=0 (forwarding the packet, but dropping the response to PingPlotter). Since this shows up as packet loss, and if many intermediate devices are doing this, it's difficult to tell if it's TRUE packet loss.

Here are a couple of articles which talk about this in a little more detail:

- Interpreting Latency and Packet Loss
- Requests/responses/and behaviors

Let us know if this leaves you with any questions!

All the best,

Austin Berner
Software Support Technician | Pingman Tools
support@pingman.com | (208) 345-0030

#3574 - 02/06/20 07:41 PM Re: Please help, my ISP is being useless [Re: AustinB]
imme Offline

Hello,
thank you for your reply!

I searched for the IP addresses on the second hop (they change) and it says they are within the private network. I have completely changed the router and all the cables. Is the NBN box on the wall inside my house considered part of my private network, or is that the start of the ISP's? What about the one attached to the outside of the house?

The issues occur on any device that is connected to the network. Mobiles will stop loading pages, a console will start buffering Netflix etc.

I have started all those traces this morning (I'm in Australia) and will see where we're at in 24 hours or so for me to share the results smile

Edited by imme (02/06/20 07:43 PM)

#3575 - 02/07/20 02:01 AM Re: Please help, my ISP is being useless [Re: imme]
imme Offline

So unfortunately my trial expired and I couldn't get the results frown

Thank you so much for your help smile

#3576 - 02/10/20 02:00 PM Re: Please help, my ISP is being useless [Re: imme]
Poe Offline
Pingman Tools Support

Hi imme,

So sorry that your trial ran out before you could get the information you need. We would be happy to extend your trial to help you get the trace information that you need. We'll send you a private message with details.

Let us know what you find after tracing for 48hrs!

Thanks,

-Poe

#3577 - 02/10/20 06:00 PM Re: Please help, my ISP is being useless [Re: Poe]
imme Offline

Thank you so much for this! I've just started the traces up again, I'll report back when they're done smile

#3578 - 02/12/20 08:51 PM Re: Please help, my ISP is being useless [Re: imme]
imme Offline

OK, so those traces have finished and I've got the links to the share pages... I hope I've done this right!

I'm confused as to why when I've traced all these things at once that I have so much packet loss showing up on the first hop when that has never been where I've had packet loss showing before? But the trace that goes just to that first hop shows none.

My ISP are still being ridiculous... the last contact I had with them was yesterday and they asked me for the same information I gave them 2 weeks ago... urrrgh!

Trace to the router
Trace to NIC
Trace to loop back address
Trace to my ISP
Trace to google.com
Trace to game server

ETA: I also don't know why it's showing from dates before I restarted these traces... I thought all that information got lost when my trial initially ran out.

Edited by imme (02/12/20 08:54 PM)

#3579 - 02/14/20 02:41 PM Re: Please help, my ISP is being useless [Re: imme]
AustinB Offline
Network Support @ Pingman Tools

Hi Imme,

Thanks so much for sharing your data!

This stuff is providing a much clearer picture now. Hop #3 seems to be a clear culprit, but when you dig deeper and compare the graphs on the trace to your ISP, there are 2 IP addresses at hop #2 which exhibit the problem. (see attached images).

In regards to the packet loss you're seeing at hop #1, it's likely that your device is just down-prioritizing ICMP Echo Requests where TTL = 0. This is fairly common and doesn't affect your connection.

When the Pro Trial conversion to Free happens, this only limits what you can do in the GUI of the application. Sessions will indeed stop, however, the trace data will not be lost and can be re-loaded as soon as Pro is activated again.

In conclusion, I would recommend investigating the IPs at hop #2 and show your ISP this data!

Let us know if you have any other questions smile

All the best,

Austin Berner
Software Support Technician | Pingman Tools
support@pingman.com | (208) 345-0030

Attachments
Summary.png (99 downloads)
Hop2.png (86 downloads)

#3580 - 02/14/20 04:52 PM Re: Please help, my ISP is being useless [Re: AustinB]
imme Offline

Hi Austin,

thank you so much for your reply. I will pass this all along to my ISP and hopefully it will give them what they need. Apparently their issue at the moment is getting NBN co (who provide the NBN service to them) to accept that there is any kind of problem... hopefully this shows them that there is indeed a problem!

Imme

#3583 - 02/17/20 06:42 PM Re: Please help, my ISP is being useless [Re: imme]
imme Offline

So... I provided the trace information to my ISP and they said that NBN co (the people that have to deal with this fault) wont be able to interpret it. Sigh.

I am at my wits end with this issue, it's been 4 months now and NBN co decided to close the fault yesterday because they couldn't see any issue when they tested.

Now my ISP is wanting me to give them a text based test results and have given me instructions to do so. It's waiting for the issue to happen and trying to get the testing done in that time that is a problem now.

Is there some kind of text option in pingplotter?

Edited by imme (02/17/20 06:42 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod