Topic Options
#3560 - 01/16/20 03:42 AM Differing Results from a normal Ping vs PingPlotter Pro
BenT Offline

Hi Guys,

We're starting to use your product for general network troubleshooting but have been getting some inconsistent results between a normal ping and what PingPlotter Pro is showing.

The below is from a linux machine that is pinging a router on the other side of a wan fibre connection. The ping and the PingPlotter probe are running from the same machine.

However the results differ:

- The average ping that ping plotter is showing is: 4.5ms while normal ping is 1.3ms.
- Also, there seem to be large spikes shown in PingPlotter / Jitter that we aren't seeing in the normal ping test.

The ping test below was stopped / started but we've left it running for several hours before and the results were identical.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

#3561 - 01/16/20 05:31 PM Re: Differing Results from a normal Ping vs PingPlotter Pro [Re: BenT]
AustinB Offline
Network Support @ Pingman Tools

Hi BenT,

Thanks for reaching out - I'm happy to lend a hand here.

Test results from a command-line ping can be different than what PingPlotter is showing. It's possible that this traffic is a lower priority than the command-line ping (thus the spikes), and PingPlotter operates with both ping and traceroute.

In addition, your packet configuration in PingPlotter (Edit -> Options -> Chadwick Internal) may be slightly different than what command-line ping is using.

If you're interested, we've got an article here which talks about the differences between ping -t and PingPlotter:

Ping -t vs PingPlotter

We've also got an article which speaks to the benefits of using PingPlotter over ping -t:

And the Best Ping Tool is...

Should I Trust My PingPlotter Results?

Let us know if you have questions or need help with anything else!

All the best,

Austin Berner
Software Support Technician | Pingman Tools
support@pingman.com | (208) 345-0030

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod