Topic Options
#3028 - 03/10/17 09:13 PM Issue seems clear. Addressing ISP as a layman?
Harinder Offline

Hey guys,

before I say anything else I'd like to say thank you guys for this tool as a whole. It makes me feel infinitely more confident that I'll be able to address and hopefully fix this issue being able to provide all the information that I need to my ISP.

Even as a layman this seems to paint a clear picture but I'd like to have it confirmed by someone that actually knows what he's talking about. If it is indeed on their end, what's the best way to verbally express the issue to them? I've read the article on preparing a case, but I feel it's more important for me to have at least a somewhat basic terminology to go with rather than being blown out the water by the most basic of question from their side.

Do I start out by expressing that I found an "issue" in one of their... network centers? I'm unsure how to even phrase my approach and would hate to be brushed off because of it.

Thank you so much for your time!,

Harinder

#3029 - 03/10/17 09:27 PM Re: Issue seems clear. Addressing ISP as a layman? [Re: Harinder]
Harinder Offline

After some consideration: To what extent can I say that even if it's obvious they're having an issue at this particular hop, that that's related to the general ping jitter issues I'm experiencing?

EDIT: I realize I just inadvertently bumped my own thread. Didn't mean to.

Edited by Harinder (03/10/17 09:28 PM)

#3031 - 03/13/17 05:59 PM Re: Issue seems clear. Addressing ISP as a layman? [Re: Harinder]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hi Harinder,

Thanks for getting in touch - and thank you for using PingPlotter!

The packet loss that you're seeing at hop #7 doesn't look like it may be the root cause of any issues here. Although you've got a bit of packet loss at your final destination (around .8%), the pattern of packet loss at hop #7 (the 43% or so) isn't all carrying through your route.

Some devices aren't fond of timed out ICMP requests (ICMP requests where the TTL = 0 after reaching them), and may down prioritize them (or not respond to them at all) to make way for other network traffic. When this happens, it can show up as packet loss at that hop in PingPlotter - but as long as the packet loss or latency isn't carrying through to the next hop (or to the final destination in your route), then it's usually nothing you need to factor into your troubleshooting efforts. We cover this idea in a bit more detail here:

http://www.pingman.com/kb/5

It's tough to speculate on what may be causing your issue with the limited amount of information we have here. If you'd like, feel free to send over a pp2 file of any PingPlotter results you may have (via the "File" -> "Export sample set" or "File" -> "Share" option in program), along with a description of the problem you're troubleshooting - and we'd be happy to review that information and offer any guidance we can!

In the meantime, we've got a great guide that goes over some best practices and strategies for using PingPlotter to troubleshoot network issues - which also provides some tips on how to communicate your findings to a provider. Have a look here:

http://www.pingplotter.com/fix-your-network

If you should find yourself with any questions, or needing any other assistance - please let us know!

Best wishes,

-Gary

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod