Topic Options
#2920 - 09/19/16 04:18 PM Question re: PPPro Summary graph for packet loss
wolf89 Offline

Hi,

When displaying 'All Targets' in pingplotter Pro 5.2.3, and graphing 1 or more of the targets from that view, the packet loss lines appear to show some level indication by varying heights. (see attached image)

Is this correct? If so, how is it shown and what is the scale?

Is it, for instance, a count of the pkt drops during that summarized interval?

Is there a manual somewhere that explains things like this? All I found under 'Help' was the knowledge base.

thx

Attachments
Capture2.PNG

#2921 - 09/19/16 07:16 PM Re: Question re: PPPro Summary graph for packet loss [Re: wolf89]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey wolf,

Great question!

When you're looking at the time graphs, each pixel in the graph can be comprised of 1 or more samples. If you're looking at a smaller time frame (like 5 minutes), each sample may be multiple pixels wide. If you're viewing a larger timeframe (48 hours, for example), it gets tough to represent each sample on it's own pixel (as there's a limited amount of space to work with). PingPlotter starts to average the latencies/packet loss when you zoom out to a larger timeframe to make an effort to get everything in view. We cover this concept in more detail here:

http://www.pingman.com/kb/20

The packet loss percentage scale is shown along the right side of the graph - and can be adjusted. We've got a section of our manual that goes into the details on this (under the "Packet loss" section):

http://www.pingplotter.com/manual/displayoptions.html

Hopefully this helps out! If you have any other questions - don't hesitate to ask.

-Gary

#2922 - 09/20/16 08:32 AM Re: Question re: PPPro Summary graph for packet loss [Re: Gary]
wolf89 Offline

Thanks Gary, that's exactly the information I was looking for. I originally searched the kb for something like "packet loss in summary". I tried it again and still got no results. I was able to find the kb you directed me to via "packet loss" search. I guess it was a case of less is better.

May I suggest that Pingman include a link to the manual in the 'Help' dropdown? And possibly include a section with links to the most common kb questions in an appendix of help?

Thanks
w

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod