Topic Options
#2646 - 04/08/15 08:16 PM 80% Packet Loss
frankbiganski Offline

New to PingPlotter but I thought I was having slow connection even though online speed tests showed I was getting 50Mbps connection. But what do you folks make of the screenshot below? This is about the same no matter what site I connect to... google, my wife's website, my website, amazon... all 40%-90% loss.
http://cl.ly/acIj?_ga=1.99783774.177143945.1428538460

Frank

Wow... I figured out how to connect directly to my modem to bypass my NetGear WGR614 v9 router, and now I'm getting no packet loss at all. I still see a missing "hop" in the string of connections, but the problem is either the router or something connected to it? The firmware is updated and according to Cox, my router is supposed to be compatible, so I'll re-connect the router and press on... perhaps the router is dying? I read on another site that a dying router could cause severe packet loss too. I've been working with computers since the early 90's and you learn something new everyday with these bleeping computers... great website and great resource. Thanks!

Edited by frankbiganski (04/09/15 04:26 AM)
Edit Reason: Found Problem

#2648 - 04/09/15 01:25 PM Re: 80% Packet Loss [Re: frankbiganski]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Frank,

Thanks for sharing your story here! It's always great to hear when someone has narrowed down their issue. Posts like this one always result in a bit of celebration here at Pingman HQ.

When you mention that you're still seeing a missing hop - is this similar to what we can see at hop #8 in the screenshot you posted? If so - that's not necessarily anything to worry about. Some routers just don't prioritize ICMP requests very high (or don't respond to them at all). We cover this topic in a bit more detail here:

http://www.pingman.com/kb/5

It looks like you're running PingPlotter version 4 here (and thanks for trying it out!) - so the screenshot in the above article will look a *bit* different from what you're seeing (as it's from version 3), but the information in the article still applies.

If you should find yourself with any questions, or if you need any other help from us - please don't hesitate to let us know!

Best wishes,

-Gary

Search

Who's Online
1 registered (Robertdee), 21 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod