Topic Options
#2450 - 01/19/14 03:25 PM PingPlotter for Mac
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
This topic is outdated! Visit the discussion here.

We've recently been working on several development paths for a cross-platform version of PingPlotter (and MultiPing). One of these paths got us a long distance in features and capabilities by reusing our existing codebase, and we were encouraged. Sadly, the details around the edges became harder and harder to get working the way we wanted, and we decided to go a different direction (which we are feverishly pursuing currently).

However, this leaves us with a really capable version of PingPlotter Standard on OSX, but one built on a toolset we are not continuing to develop on. We've been getting more and more requests for PingPlotter for Mac, so rather than discard this version, we're making it available to existing customers (who own a license key for PingPlotter Standard or Pro) who may find it useful.

To download this unsupported build, use this link:

http://www.pingman.com/dlm_start.php?ProgID=9331

After you download it, open the .zip file, drag the contents to your Applications folder, and launch it.

It's important to note: you'll need a PingPlotter Standard or PingPlotter Pro license key to get this version to work.

The main core features of PingPlotter works well: tracing, ICMP and TCP packet types (UDP type works, but not against some trace targets), alerts, auto-save, Retina display, etc. There are a few deficiencies as well:
  • no help file, some menu oddities
  • a few layout problems and it uses the Carbon user interface components rather than Cocoa
  • no evaluation version (so sorry, no having friends or customers use this on their Macs - we'll have something for them pretty soon, but not this).
  • time-graph area sometimes adds additional space and doesn't properly update on route changes (to fix, right-click and reset focus to current).
  • use of PCap for TCP packets doesn't have a helper to get it started automatically - if you need TCP packets, install WireShark (you don't need to use WireShark, but installing it will configure PCap to auto-start/elevate).
  • testing has not been super-thorough, so it may have additional problems.
  • we're not offering support on this build - use at your own risk.
We're not looking for feedback on this build, but if you need PingPlotter for Mac, this might help hold you over until we have the "official" release ready to go.

If you download this, you'll automatically be added to the "Mac" mailing list and you'll get an announcement when we have beta build ready with the alternate architecture (the one we're pursuing).

Enjoy!

#2574 - 10/24/14 01:38 PM Re: PingPlotter for Mac [Re: Pete Ness]
Luke H Offline

This is wonderful - I didn't know this existed!

Is this still being developed? I notice the OP was from Jan. Are you interested in any more beta testers? Or any feedback on the currently available beta?

#2575 - 10/24/14 01:53 PM Re: PingPlotter for Mac [Re: Luke H]
Pete Ness Offline

Hi, Luke - good to hear from you again.

Definitely still being developed. Actively, and with much priority. But the scope is pretty big, too, and it's taking longer than I hoped (as do all software development efforts, especially ambitious ones). We've got a good team working on this, and we're making good progress. No beta yet, but we'll make sure we let you know when we have something to share.

#2576 - 10/25/14 10:00 AM Re: PingPlotter for Mac [Re: Pete Ness]
Luke H Offline

Cool that's really great! I will stay tuned to this thread.

#2591 - 12/24/14 11:29 AM Re: PingPlotter for Mac [Re: Luke H]
Luke H Offline

Merry xmas! How is the Mac app coming? Any news?

#2593 - 12/26/14 05:06 PM Re: PingPlotter for Mac [Re: Luke H]
Pete Ness Offline

Hi, Luke.

Happy holidays to you, too!

As usual, things are slower than we want them to be. Progress is happening, but we'll probably get an iOS version first (which is looking awesome, btw) before the OS X version is ready - and the iOS version isn't ready yet either. We're at least a couple of months from even a beta for OS X.

- Pete

#2725 - 08/05/15 05:28 PM Re: PingPlotter for Mac [Re: Pete Ness]
Pete Ness Offline

We're making good progress on the new cross-platform PingPlotter core. One of the advantages (and challenges) of a from-scratch rewrite is that we're thinking a lot bigger, architecturally, than the current PingPlotter engine (affectionately called "Wolverine" in house). The good news is that it's awesome. The bad news that it's taking longer than we hoped. The recent iOS release is all on the new platform (code named Xerek), and progress on the Mac build is going slowly but looks great.

Here's a "preview" screenshot. Lots of nuances that aren't captured in a screenshot, but we're excited to get this in your hands and update the unsupported build at the top of this thread. We're not quite ready to announce a release date yet, though.

Attachments
PingPlotter Mac, Aug 2015.png (4247 downloads)

#2726 - 08/08/15 03:51 PM Re: PingPlotter for Mac [Re: Pete Ness]
Adam Ross Offline

I'd love to be testing that new build... smile

Thanks for your work on the product. This has been an indispensable tool for me for a long time.

Adam

#2727 - 08/09/15 08:28 AM Re: PingPlotter for Mac [Re: Pete Ness]
CA Norton Offline

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Pete,

This is looking great, I've been using the 1/14 unsupported build, thanks for releasing it I hated to have to launch a VM just to use Pingplotter or Multiping. Thanks for your teams hard work.

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod