We just released a technical preview of PingPlotter Standard for Mac! It's available to PingPlotter Standard & PingPlotter Pro license owners who are currently on active maintenance
through the account system
. As previously mentioned
, the original Mac development path was scrapped in favor of one built on the awesome new PingPlotter engine - codenamed Xerek. This build takes full advantage of a variety of new technologies and offers several improvements:
- This is the fully-supported future, even as a preview.
- Trace two simultaneous targets.
- Updated file formats so you can share Sample Sets (.pp2 files) between this edition, PingPlotter v4 and iOS.
- IPv6 tracing.
- Sub-millisecond latency measurements for LAN troubleshooting and capturing small performance variations.
- Cocoa GUI is way slicker than the old Carbon one.
- Shortcut button on time graphs that jumps timeline to most recent data.
- New data management strategy imports/exports data more efficiently (no longer save and load because it's database powered) and autosaves everything you collect. NOTE: Automatically flushing data from memory is still on the to do list.
- Timelines zoom in and out smoothly without skipping from setting to setting
Alerts, UDP & TCP packet types, comments, scripting, route change viewing and a handful of other features have yet to be implemented in the current preview. If this functionality is essential to your work, it's probably a good idea to stay on the old build until we get the features into a new version. If you are getting screens telling you "this is an old version" - don't worry, we have a date-extended "test" edition that you can get by redownloading (although it's getting increasingly creaky with new OS versions).
Overall, the new Mac build is a great preview of where PingPlotter technology is heading. We're excited to hear how it works for you!