Topic Options
#2283 - 07/05/11 10:10 AM New to PingPlotter- Intrepetation help requested
jshep Offline

I have been battling with my ISP for almost 6 weeks now over an slow connection speed. In the course of my investigation I have discovered PingPlotter. I need some guidance to ensure I am drawing the correct conclusion.

I have been plotting a connection between by computer and google.ca for the past 48 hours. A sample of the data is shown in the attached. Would I be correct in concluding that the problem has it's root between hops 2 and 4?

Any guidance, help or suggestions would be most welcome.

thanks

Jim

#2284 - 07/08/11 01:26 AM Re: New to PingPlotter- Intrepetation help requested [Re: jshep]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Well, it's not 100% clear. Hop 2 has some definite issues that looks to be significantly impacting your performance. Hop 2 is the first hop inside your ISP, so that could be the issue. Based on when you restarted your router, it looks like your biggest pain was happening when you have high latency at hop 2 - which would be between hop 1 and hop 2 (or your main connection).

The packet loss and latency you have at downstream hops (past hop 2) really needs to be correlated with the experience you're feeling. Does your internet experience match what you're seeing at hop 2 more, or what you're seeing at hop 4. If it's a closer match to hop 4, then the problem could be inside your ISP. If it's more like hop 2, then it's between you and the ISP.

Let us know where this leaves you.

- Pete

#2287 - 07/08/11 11:17 PM Re: New to PingPlotter- Intrepetation help requested [Re: Pete Ness]
jshep Offline

Pete

Whatever the case it certainly motivated my ISP. Apparently they had not configured my account properly! Too bad it took 6 weeks with level 1 and 2 techs and an email to the CEO to get things rolling.

Jitter is gone and we are almost flat-lining now

Thanks

Jim

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 16 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod