Topic Options
#1107 - 03/17/04 01:07 PM ERROR: List index out of bounds (17)
TivoNut Offline

I've just updated to 2.50 today. I'm tracing to one of my remote DSL sites that is up and down a lot today. After a few minutes, the PingPloter dialog box pops up with the following error:

List index out of bounds (17)

There is an OK button to acknowledge it.

Any ideas? I'm on Win2K Pro SP4.

#1108 - 03/17/04 01:18 PM Re: ERROR: List index out of bounds (17) [Re: TivoNut]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
It is safe to close that dialog (OK to aknowledge), and almost certainly PingPlotter will continue collecting data without problems.

Whenever an error like this occurs, some debugging information is written to a file in your PingPlotter install directory - the file is called PingPlotter.rip. Can you send that file to support@pingplotter.com so we can track down the problem? Once we've got that file, we'll let you know what caused it and what affect it has. We *might* need some more details from you, but won't know until we see the .rip file for this.

If this is a reoccuring problem that is causing you difficulties, we'll help solve this for you, one way or another.

Thanks for the report.

#1109 - 03/17/04 01:38 PM Re: ERROR: List index out of bounds (17) [Re: Pete Ness]
TivoNut Offline

Sorry, no .rip files anywhere on the C: drive.

It doesn't seem to be causing me any problems in using PP, just a minor annoyance. Anything else I can do to help find it?

#1110 - 03/17/04 02:02 PM Re: ERROR: List index out of bounds (17) [Re: TivoNut]
Pete Ness Offline

Hmmmm. It gets much more difficult to troubleshoot without this info - I'm a bit perplexed as to why it's not there. I don't think this file will be hidden by most systems by extension, but it's possible. You probably did a search, though, which should find it. By default, it's in the c:\Program Files\Ping Plotter directory. Can you do a quick manual review of that directory (preferrably by opening a command prompt and doing a "dir" there)?

If no .rip file appears, then can you save some data (File -> Save Sample Set) and email that to support@pingplotter.com? Maybe something in that will give us a clue. Also, before you save it, can you mark the general time period where you got the error (or errors, if there was more than one). To do this, right-click on the time-graph at the point where the error happened and select the "Create Comment" command from the menu, then enter some description.

Thanks!

#1111 - 03/17/04 05:00 PM Re: ERROR: List index out of bounds (17) [Re: Pete Ness]
TivoNut Offline

I just sent in the sample data. Still no .rip files anywhere.

#1112 - 03/17/04 05:21 PM Re: ERROR: List index out of bounds (17) [Re: Pete Ness]
TivoNut Offline

After generating several more errors, it generated a new dialog box that said something to the effect of "Ping Plotter is generating errors and will be closed. A log file is being created."

I can't seem to find any log file. Ping Plotter exited completely.

#1113 - 03/17/04 09:45 PM Re: ERROR: List index out of bounds (17) [Re: TivoNut]
Pete Ness Offline

That error message is a Windows-generated message, and generally means the application is doing bad things (like generating multiple error messages in a recursive style, or something similar).

We're digging around a bit on this to see if we can find any likely culprits.

#1114 - 04/05/04 07:54 PM Re: ERROR: List index out of bounds (17) [Re: Pete Ness]
Pete Ness Offline

We've released a test version that should fix this problem. See the beta page for details:

http://www.pingplotter.com/beta

We're hoping to verify this fixes the problem quickly so we can release 2.50.1.

Thanks,
Pete

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod