ERROR: List index out of bounds (17)

Posted by: TivoNut

ERROR: List index out of bounds (17) - 03/17/04 01:07 PM

I've just updated to 2.50 today. I'm tracing to one of my remote DSL sites that is up and down a lot today. After a few minutes, the PingPloter dialog box pops up with the following error:

List index out of bounds (17)

There is an OK button to acknowledge it.

Any ideas? I'm on Win2K Pro SP4.
Posted by: Pete Ness

Re: ERROR: List index out of bounds (17) - 03/17/04 01:18 PM

It is safe to close that dialog (OK to aknowledge), and almost certainly PingPlotter will continue collecting data without problems.

Whenever an error like this occurs, some debugging information is written to a file in your PingPlotter install directory - the file is called PingPlotter.rip. Can you send that file to support@pingplotter.com so we can track down the problem? Once we've got that file, we'll let you know what caused it and what affect it has. We *might* need some more details from you, but won't know until we see the .rip file for this.

If this is a reoccuring problem that is causing you difficulties, we'll help solve this for you, one way or another.

Thanks for the report.

Re: ERROR: List index out of bounds (17) - 03/17/04 01:38 PM

Sorry, no .rip files anywhere on the C: drive.

It doesn't seem to be causing me any problems in using PP, just a minor annoyance. Anything else I can do to help find it?

Re: ERROR: List index out of bounds (17) - 03/17/04 02:02 PM

Hmmmm. It gets much more difficult to troubleshoot without this info - I'm a bit perplexed as to why it's not there. I don't think this file will be hidden by most systems by extension, but it's possible. You probably did a search, though, which should find it. By default, it's in the c:\Program Files\Ping Plotter directory. Can you do a quick manual review of that directory (preferrably by opening a command prompt and doing a "dir" there)?

If no .rip file appears, then can you save some data (File -> Save Sample Set) and email that to support@pingplotter.com? Maybe something in that will give us a clue. Also, before you save it, can you mark the general time period where you got the error (or errors, if there was more than one). To do this, right-click on the time-graph at the point where the error happened and select the "Create Comment" command from the menu, then enter some description.

Thanks!

Re: ERROR: List index out of bounds (17) - 03/17/04 05:00 PM

I just sent in the sample data. Still no .rip files anywhere.

Re: ERROR: List index out of bounds (17) - 03/17/04 05:21 PM

After generating several more errors, it generated a new dialog box that said something to the effect of "Ping Plotter is generating errors and will be closed. A log file is being created."

I can't seem to find any log file. Ping Plotter exited completely.

Re: ERROR: List index out of bounds (17) - 03/17/04 09:45 PM

That error message is a Windows-generated message, and generally means the application is doing bad things (like generating multiple error messages in a recursive style, or something similar).

We're digging around a bit on this to see if we can find any likely culprits.

Re: ERROR: List index out of bounds (17) - 04/05/04 07:54 PM

We've released a test version that should fix this problem. See the beta page for details:

http://www.pingplotter.com/beta

We're hoping to verify this fixes the problem quickly so we can release 2.50.1.

Thanks,
Pete