Hi,

Like many others here, I've been having issues starting with the second hop of trace route. The result is variant latency ranging from 8ms to 400+ms. Sometimes the packets are just lost. It's somewhat tolerable from 02:00 to 10:00, but absolutely awful around 20:00 (even if I have nothing else transceiving during these times), and generally bad anytime else.

I have the typical setup of PC<-ethernet->ROUTER<-ethernet->MODEM<-coax->WALL.

I'm a bit confused about what PingPlotter shows for my second hop (96.120.70.105). When I who.is that, it shows it's owned by my ISP. It would make most sense for that to be my modem, however, it doesn't match my IP address. When I who.is my IP address, it shows it's owned by my ISP, and further, it reports the IP in the right city whereas the 96.120.70.105 IP location is unknown. When I trace my IP, the ping is sub-millisecond and has very little variance. Same goes for 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.1.1. So I'm guessing my modem isn't even listed on PingPlotter for some reason. Just to triple check, I swapped out my modem (and all ethernet and coax cables) with a new one to no avail.

After about a dozen conversations with my ISP, they said they'd have their engineering department look at it, but I'm not holding my breath. Technicians have come and shot the line up to my modem and back out to... not sure where, and observed good dB power levels. I'm not an RF engineer, but I don't think that would necessarily expose latency variation.

It would be great to hear from someone who knows more than me that this is/isn't on my ISP. I don't have 48 hours of collected data to upload here, but the attached image is an hour of capture at the worst time of the day.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Attachments
packetLossAndPingVariance.png (153 downloads)