Topic Options
#2890 - 08/06/16 03:13 PM Displayed data depends on time scale?
William Smith Offline

So I've got this one target in Ping Plotter Pro, and it's pretty stable at 90 ms, but it jumps to 318 for one sample.

If I look at the timeline on a scale of one minute thru 1 hour, I can see the peak reach 318ms, and the latency scale is 330 ms, which is about as expected.

When I set the time scale to 3 hours, the latency looks like it's about 150 ms, and the latency scale is 160 ms.

When I set the timescale to 24 hours, the peak looks like 97(?) ms and the latency scale is 110ms. At 7 days it's essentially invisible.

Not that the data is interesting in the grand scheme of my network, but this changing latency scale depending on time scale has me concerned that I'm potentially missing visual cues to network problems...

Am I missing a "show me the peaks" setting?

Thanks!

#2893 - 08/09/16 04:35 PM Re: Displayed data depends on time scale? [Re: William Smith]
Phillip Offline
Pingman Staff

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hey William,

When you're looking at the time graphs, each pixel in the graph can be comprised of 1 or more samples. If you're looking at a smaller time frame (like 5 minutes), each sample may be multiple pixels wide. If you're viewing a larger timeframe (48 hours, for example), it gets tough to represent each sample on it's own pixel (as there's a limited amount of space to work with). PingPlotter starts to average the latencies when you zoom out to a larger timeframe to make an effort to get everything in view. We cover this concept in more detail here:

http://www.pingman.com/kb/20

Hopefully this helps explain things a little more clearly. If you should find yourself with any other questions, or needing any other assistance - please don't hesitate to email us at support@pingplotter.com. 

Cheers! 

-Phillip

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod