Topic Options
#66 - 05/17/99 05:40 PM Extension for PP files
jonron Offline

I dont like that Pingplotter uses the same extension as Microsoft since my computer get quite confused by this.<br><br>The extension pps is used by Powerpoint presentation packages or what thay are called in english. It is the number one presentation format when it comes to an professional presentation where you dont want to fiddle with Powerpoint itself. By running a pps- file I could start the presentation in full screen directly.<br><br>Is it possibly to have a uniqu extansion in the next release and how do I change back to the original program for pps-files?<br><br>Best regards,<br>Jonas Rönnkvist<br><br>

#67 - 05/17/99 06:47 PM Re: Extension for PP files [Re: jonron]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Unfortunately, Ping Plotter sets this association every time you run it, so this is a problem for people that run Power Point. <br><br>Here's the registry key that's causing the problems - it needs to be associated with a PowerPoint type instead. I'm not sure which one as I don't have PowerPoint installed (I guess many techies don't as I've only heard this problem once before and it wasn't brought up as a big issue).<br><br>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pps]<br>@="PingPlotter.SaveFile"<br><br>I'm *very* open to any alternate suggestions for an extension. It's tough to come up with one that doesn't collide somewhere - it's really unfortunate when it collides with Microsoft, though!<br><br>Thanks,<br>Pete<br><br>

#68 - 05/18/99 12:10 PM Re: Extension for PP files [Re: Pete Ness]
jbrunette Offline

Being a Win32 app, you wouldn't necessarily be limited to registering a 3-character extension. mysample.pingps, mysample.ppsample, etc.<br><br>

#69 - 05/18/99 10:28 PM Re: Extension for PP files [Re: jbrunette]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
I actually played with this a bit back when Ping Plotter was a baby (back in early '98) and while under NT, >3 character extensions work great, under 95, they don't work. Kind of disappointing. I'd love to be wrong about this, though, if anyone has different experience on this.<br><br>Thanks!<br><br>Pete<br><br>

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 8 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod