Topic Options
#664 - 04/10/02 07:01 AM varying ping values
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Pingplotter,<br><br>I am doing pings with pingplotter on a Windows200 system and see the delays vayring in jumps between 31 and 16 msec. I see the same effect when doing a ping -t in the command box of Windows2000.<br>If I do the same tests from a Windows98 or Linux system (from the same IP subnetwork), I see a constant value of the ping.<br>If I use another program on the above mentioned WIndows2000 system (Qcheck or Chariot: http://www.netiq.com/qcheck/default.asp) I see also a constant response time (this tool simulates a ping at TCP level).<br><br>So I don't understand what is happening? Is pingplotter using the same code as the ping command? And is there something wrong when I use Windows2000?<br><br>Thanks for your response.<br><br>All the best,<br><br><br>Victor<br><br>

#665 - 05/16/02 02:42 PM Re: varying ping values
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Ack - sorry, Victor - I just noticed that I never responded to your question here.<br><br>Ping Plotter does, indeed, use the same API calls that Ping and TRACERT do. You might try turning on the High Performance Timer option in Ping Plotter - as Windows 2000 (and Windows NT) round the ping time. Turning on high performance timers tells Ping Plotter to measure the time - rather than using the time returned by Windows. This may change the behavior you're seeing.<br><br>

#666 - 05/30/02 07:10 PM Re: varying ping values [Re: Pete Ness]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oke, I will try that next week, when I have again access to my Windows2000 system.

#667 - 06/20/02 08:21 AM Re: varying ping values [Re: Pete Ness]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Pete,

That worked!!! No I have to find such an option also in the normal ping and tracert of Windows2000;-)

Pingplotter works now correct (at least comparable with ping on unix system).

All the best,

Victor

#668 - 06/20/02 10:50 AM Re: varying ping values
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
This is a shortcoming of ICMP.DLL. I know of no way to make the standard PING/TraceRT work with the same level of accuracy.

Note that this problem is isolated to Windows NT / 2000 systems. All Windows 9x systems display 1ms accuracy - as does Windows XP. So I guess one way around this problem with PING/TraceRT is to change your OS.

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod