Topic Options
#638 - 01/19/02 08:26 PM PP not holding max times
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've got an unregistered version of 2.30 (my time is up) and I've been using PP to troubleshoot my high ping times/packet loss when gaming. I've noticed that the "MAX" time doesn't seem to hold. That is, the max for a single hop could be 420ms and then a minute later drop to 160ms. Is this a "feature" in PP or possibly a result of my grace period being up?<br><br>Thanks<br><br>Aaron<br><br>

#639 - 01/19/02 08:51 PM Re: PP not holding max times
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hi.<br><br>Ping Plotter works the same when registered or not registered - it just encourages you to register when you've not done so. Functionally, it's the same, though.<br><br>I suspect what's at issue here is the "Samples to include". Normally, during a long monitoring run, you want to know about relatively current data - not all data since you started collecting it. To make the data meaningful, there's a parameter called "Samples to include" which indicates how many samples to use for calculating min/max/avg numbers. If you have this set to 10, then only the 10 most recent samples (note that this "most recent" part assumes you're looking at current data rather than focusing on some past data) will be used to calculate your max response time. If you really want to look at all data you've collected, just enter "0" for samples to include, and Ping Plotter will use all the collected data in memory to calculate these.<br><br>Be aware that when "Samples to include" is set to 0, you won't be able to focus in on any previous time periods. When you have it set to something besides 0 (say, 100), you're able to double click on the lower graph to focus in on a particular period you want to examine in more detail. Obviously, if you're looking at all the data, however (samples to includes set to 0), you can't focus in on anything other than all.<br><br>Hopefully, this answers your question. Feel free to ask again if I didn't correctly understand your question. Also, you might want to have a look at the tutorial (<A HREF="http://www.pingplotter.com/tutorial" target="_new">http://www.pingplotter.com/tutorial</A>) as it has quite a bit of information on this and related topics.<br><br>

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod