Topic Options
#626 - 12/28/01 05:20 PM Windows/XP professional
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have migrated my operations from a Windows/ME environemnt to a Windows/XP professional enviornment. Is ping plotter usable and supported in windows/xp enviornment?<br><br>

#627 - 12/28/01 05:35 PM Re: Windows/XP professional
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
I regularily test Ping Plotter on a Windows XP system - and have heard from quite a few people that have had great success with Ping Plotter on XP. We definitely support running Ping Plotter on the Windows XP operating system.<br><br>I'm currently running a trace that has been running on a Windows XP system continuously since early November - and there are 1.9 million samples in memory (it's getting a bit unweildy at 1.9 million samples, I must admit, but it's still running!).<br><br>If you see anything abnormal with Ping Plotter under XP, please let us know.<br><br>Best wishes - and happy holidays!<br><br>

#628 - 02/12/02 01:00 PM Re: Windows/XP professional [Re: Pete Ness]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am also running pingplotter continuously on XP, trying to nail down a problem with my ISP. Lately, I notice that when I get a period where the connect dropps all packets (the lower bar is all red) and I double click on the lower graph to look at that data, it will give me a memory error in XP and then not show the lower graph any more. <br><br>I have seen in the past using pingplotter where you will sometimes get routers that seem to go into a continuous loop, where 2 routers will direct that packet baack and forth to each other and the top graph will expand way down the screen. I think this is what is happening, but I am not sure cause it gives me that error and does not display the proper data in the upper graph, nor any data in the lower graph.<br><br>I find I have to save the sample set and reload it. Then I can see the lower graph again. But if I click on the bad section of the lower graph it will do it again. <br><br>Hear of this yet? <br><br>

#629 - 02/12/02 01:22 PM Re: Windows/XP professional
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
I've not heard this one yet - at least not in a way that I recognize.<br><br>Is it possible for you to send me the save file that demonstrates this problem? If you can e-mail it to pete@pingplotter.com (zipped, please - as I'm sure it's pretty big). If it's too big to e-mail, let me know and I'll set up an FTP area for you.<br><br>Thanks for the report - and help tracking it down.<br><br>

#630 - 02/12/02 04:01 PM Re: Windows/XP professional [Re: Pete Ness]
Anonymous
Unregistered

No problem. I am running it on a box that has 128meg of ram and running eDonkey on there also. It is possible I am running out of ram I assume. I am going to save the file and open it on my other box when I get home. It has 256 meg of ram on it. I will also email it to you.<br><br>btw, great product. I registered it a few years ago because I thought it was well written and useful. I have used it multiple times to resolve some connect problems with my ISP. I am glad to see it has not become a victim of "feature creep". Nice program that does one thing and does it well. <br><br>

#631 - 02/13/02 04:06 AM Re: Windows/XP professional [Re: Pete Ness]
Bill_MI Offline

Loc: SE Michigan
Pete, since the topic came up, this has been true in Windows 2000 also - especially behind an NAT router with a dynamic IP. But all this might be why you haven't seen it...<br><br>The IP changes, along with the gateway address (1st hop after router).<br><br>The various gateway addresses that are possible have been entered to "Show this Timeline Graph". This is important.<br><br>Navigating the routing changes by double-clicking in a void area produced by the changing gateway first produces "Access violation at address 00488EBF in module 'PingPlotter.exe'. Write of address 0000033C." This error seems benign but the time line for earlier gateways is now skewed on the time graph.<br><br>I run PingPlotter as a Win2K service but already know this error happens when PP2 files are examined by any instance. I don't have any PP2 examples handy when NOT run as a service - but suspect this doesn't matter.<br><br>But if you feel ambitious the Systray thing when run as a service would be great! :-) I think starting up on a boot and PingPlotter not yet having a Systray makes it disappear forever when minimized.<br><br>I can send you an example PP2 file - it's not that big so need not even zip it.<br><br>

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod