Topic Options
#619 - 12/27/01 12:28 PM Access violation - XP
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi. I'm running Win XP and Pingplotter v2.30.1. When I start PP I get five or six 'Access violation at address 0012FA87, Write of address 77D477FC' messages. Pingplotter v1.10 works fine. The access violation message continues to show up after you click OK though PP functions normally. Sometimes, if I don't click on anything in PP, the access violation message will not reoccur. I am running an Asus K7V mb with 1gb ram, a 3C990 NIC, Netware client (bound to IPX/SPX only), and a Matrox g400 dual output video card. I had Norton AV CE 7.5 installed but uninstalled it in case it was related. <br><br>

#620 - 12/28/01 05:31 PM Re: Access violation - XP
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hi, Bill.<br><br>This is the first report I've heard of this problem under Windows XP. I've tested it on a variety of machines, and have a dedicated Windows XP test station here - but haven't seen any signs of this. Obviously, I need to do a bit more digging.<br><br>I'm honestly not sure what's causing this problem - can possibly e-mail pete@pingplotter.com so we can dig into this a bit further?<br><br>Thanks for the report - I'm looking forward to hearing from you and getting to the bottom of whatever is causing this problem.<br><br>Pete<br><br>

#621 - 02/09/02 03:26 AM Re: Access violation - XP [Re: Pete Ness]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just started getting a similar error to this one. It just started happening within the last 2 or 3 weeks (unfortunately I don't know what might have changed on my system to cause it.) The error message I'm getting is "Access violation at address 00000006. Read of address 00000006." Other than this particular error constantly popping up, PP seems to be running OK (traces, menus, etc.) The error only appears, if my mouse cursor is over the Ping Plotter window. If I move the cursor off the window (if it's not maximized), even to the taskbar or PP's title bar, the error stops coming up. If PP is not in focus (the selected app) I can move my cursor over it without the error. As soon as I select PP and move the cursor back, however, I start getting the error again.<br><br>

#622 - 02/09/02 03:47 AM Re: Access violation - XP
Pete Ness Offline

I've heard a report that the application "CursorEX" might be helping to cause this error. It's a cursor enhancement program. I've been unable to duplicate this problem here, however. Are you using any kind of a cursor enhancement program?<br><br>

#623 - 02/10/02 06:53 AM Re: Access violation - XP [Re: Pete Ness]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes! That is the answer. I just upgraded CursorXP to version 1.01, and I think that's where the error crept in (Ping Plotter worked OK with ver 1.00, I think.) When I unload CursorXP from memory, the error disappears. I'll let the folks at Stardock know about this. Hopefully they can fix it in future versions.<br><br>Thnaks for the help.<br><br>

#624 - 02/10/02 11:59 AM Re: Access violation - XP
Pete Ness Offline

Well, it might very well be a problem in Ping Plotter - I just can't reproduce it here. Ping Plotter shouldn't be getting an access violation.<br><br>Are you using CursorXP Plus, or the shareware version? Can you think of any other tips on how I might be able to reproduce - are you using any kind of special effects in CursorXP that when turned off, don't cause the problem?<br><br>Thanks!<br><br>

#625 - 02/10/02 07:17 PM Re: Access violation - XP [Re: Pete Ness]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm using the registered version, 1.01. I contacted Stardock and they were able to reproduce the error and fix it. It was definitely a problem on their end. I should be OK once they release the next version. In the mean time I can simply disable CursorXP when I need to run PP.<br><br>Thanks again for the help.<br><br>

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod