Topic Options
#542 - 07/04/01 03:31 AM Pl and high ping on first hop
Anonymous
Unregistered

I noticed with my dsl connection. my connection is usually fine during late night/early mornings with pl once in a while at steady intervals but as the busy hours come on I the pings and what not are rock solid at 50ms to the first hop but time between pl bursts decreases. I'm thinking that the pl bursts are happening before they get to the SMS server or BB router at the other end going through the co's DS-x circuits is there any way to find out what is causing the PL when it 'seems' to be occuring on the first hop I've called my isp about it but no one seems to know how or where it's happening and how to fix it. Even though they say "I'm seeing pl". Also out of curiosity could anyone explain why I see 50m to the first hop using DSL? Is this a 'feature' of the redback subscriber system or does it have to do with old dslams?<br><br><br>

#543 - 07/04/01 03:44 AM Re: Pl and high ping on first hop
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hi.<br><br>The symptoms you're seeing seem very much related to your ISP - which I can't really help you with much. Maybe you've already done this, but you might get some good answers to this by heading over to DSLReports (www.dslreports.com) and posting a message on their forums - you're very likely to run into others having similar experiences there.<br><br>I have DSL personally (Qwest), and my connection to their router is influenced only by my bandwidth usage (which is quite different than how it was when I was using Roadrunner cable - where time of day was a huge factor in performance and packet loss). I get 15ms to 20ms avg. latency to their first router pretty much any time of day - until I get close to my subscribed data rate (960K down, 768K up). Once i hit about 75% of this bandwidth, I start to see latency go up.<br><br>I use a Cisco 675 DSL router. When I first got this router, it had CBOS 2.2 on it - and at that time, load would induce HUGE latency and packet loss problems up to (but not including) the final destination - where it performance would be very good. Updating to CBOS 2.4 solved this problem completely. If you're only seeing your symptoms at hop 1 (and not passed on further), then I'd almost certainly blame the latency and packet loss oddities on your hardware.<br><br>Sorry I can't help you much about *your* DSL provider. To be honest, my connection has been so good lately that I do consistent monitoring only because I wrote Ping Plotter - not because I need to (knock on wood!).<br><br><br>

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod