Topic Options
#448 - 03/03/01 05:10 AM Various
edcrowe Offline

Firstly, thanks for Ping Plotter It is neat & convenient.<br><br>I am one of those concerned about the new 'phoning home security. Please investigate alternatives. Could users pay more for a fully featured non-'phoning version? Could users have a dialog screen asking for permission, before PP does it?<br><br>And just one suggestion out of the many ideas (It's easy for me to have ideas; I don't have to do it.) for your great product. Please consider putting the packet size both on the GUI display and (even more importantly!) into the csv file. Maybe it should even be on every row of the csv file? Maybe put in the name of the save file?<br><br>Best Regards,<br>Ed<br><br><br>

#449 - 03/04/01 12:33 PM Re: Various [Re: edcrowe]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hi Ed.<br><br>Can you elaborate in more detail on your concerns on phoning home? I do understand that some are worried about their privacy on this - and I tried very, very hard to minimize the imact in a) usability, b) privacy, c) inconvenience. I feel like a good balance has been reached - in that all 3 of these issues have been maximized in all ways I could do so while still adding some security from key generation. I do want to hear everyone's concerns on this, though, so I can make sure I've thought of everything - and also to help reduce your concerns about what Ping Plotter does.<br><br>I've had a couple of other requests for including the packet size on the output (and main screen). One difficulty is that setup parameters (like packet size) aren't stored in the sample data that is saved. Packet size is one of these parameters that makes a major contribution to both latency and possibly packet loss, so just shoving out the current packet size onto the display isn't a reliable solution. This means a change to the file format to include a packet size so that the packet size of each sent sample is included so it is displayed correctly. In addition, it gets tricky if someone changes the packet size multiple times during a session - in that any one graph may include multiple packets size changes - and how these are displayed could have a major input on the look of the graph. I'd like to see a feature like this make it in, but the complications have stopped me from doing it to date.<br><br>Thanks for the feedback!<br><br>

#450 - 03/07/01 06:09 AM Re: Various [Re: Pete Ness]
edcrowe Offline

Thanks for your reply Pete. I'll start new threads and hope that you and the PP community continue the discussion.<br><br>

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod