Topic Options
#3936 - 03/05/22 04:14 AM Repeating 50% Packet Loss
Gekko Offline

Hello! I'm experiencing intense amounts of packet loss while connected to my router via LAN cable. I am experiencing upload issues when having video calls and streaming, and believe the packet loss is the cause.

I've contacted my ISP and they've informed me that their lines are fine, and I'm inclined to believe them. I've also swapped out the LAN cables (to computer, as well as to modem), reset the router, the whole nine yard.

My examples were all taken the same day, but I've been seeing these results for a few days. The upload issues have lasted for more than 2 weeks.

Router: Asus RT-AC68U
Modem: Hitron Coda-45

Attachments
03052022_google.com.png (36 downloads)
03052022_google.com.pp2 (141 downloads)
03052022_pingplotter.com.png (29 downloads)
03052022_pingplotter.com.pp2 (150 downloads)
03052022_twitter.com.png (27 downloads)

Edited by Gekko (03/05/22 04:15 AM)

#3937 - 03/07/22 05:46 PM Re: Repeating 50% Packet Loss [Re: Gekko]
Poe Offline
Pingman Tools Support

Hi Gekko,

Thanks for writing into the forum!

After taking a look at the screenshots and pp2 files that you attached it looks to me like the 50% packet loss only shows on Hop #1, which is your router, and does not show up in later hops. This means that it's likely a false positive and that your router is configured to down prioritize ICMP echo-request traffic and prioritize "real" traffic. Here is an article that goes into more detail about why you're seeing this.

Since your PP2 files only showed 10 minutes of data and didn't show any significant packet loss on the final hop it's hard to say if there were other issues with packet loss at the final hop. In essence, the final hop is really what matters, if it has acceptable latency and minimal packet loss then you can pretty much ignore anything else in the route. That said, if there are issues showing at the final hop then you'll need to move up the route's hops to find where the issue starts.

The first two trace screenshots you attached with the packet loss were both from 3:09 pm to 3:39 pm but the last one was from 12:35 am to 1:05 am. This trace to Twitter shows high latency spikes of up to 1400 ms that either originates between hop #1 and hop #2 or at hop #2 and goes all the way through to the final hop. Hop #2's IP address appears to belong to Canada Vancouver Shaw Communications Inc. If they have checked the lines from your location to their first hop then the issue may be with whatever piece of equipment that is at hop #2 (174.7.96.1).

I would recommend gathering more data to see if you're consistently seeing high latency that originates with that hop and then getting back in touch with Canada Vancouver Shaw Communications Inc. and showing them that this issue seems to originate at that IP address (174.7.96.1).

Good luck and let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

Thanks,

-Poe

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 8 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod