Topic Options
#3883 - 09/17/21 09:55 AM Is it my modem or the cable company's network?
electrobank Offline

Greetings!

I've been experiencing packet loss in the evenings during peak hours (see attached) and the cable company continues to imply that the issue is with my modem or my home network. I have an all-in-one modem/router (hop 1) and hop 2 (10.135.128.1) is not part of my local network per the Local Network Discovery feature of PingPlotter. So my question is, seeing that hop 1 is entirely without interference, is the problem on my end or theirs? I don't want to go down the road with them where they implicate every WIFI device, treadmill, fluorescent lighting, etc. as the cause of my issues.

Thanks

[img:left]https://imgur.com/a/E4zOfAT[/img]

#3884 - 09/17/21 05:51 PM Re: Is it my modem or the cable company's network? [Re: electrobank]
TJM Offline

Hey Electrobank,

Thanks for reaching out!

After reviewing your screenshot I agree with your analysis that this does not appear to be a local network issue as the first hop (your router) shows no signs of an issue. Considering this, it appears that the problem starts at the second hop (10.135.128.1) in the route as you can clearly observe patterns of latency/packet loss that align with that shown at the destination (final hop).

In communicating the data you have collected with your ISP I suggest checking out the following article which is focused on building a case with your ISP:

Build a Case

If this leaves you with any other questions please let me know!

Best of luck,
-TJ

#3885 - 09/17/21 06:37 PM Re: Is it my modem or the cable company's network? [Re: TJM]
electrobank Offline

Thanks TJM! Very helpful.

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod