Topic Options
#3870 - 08/24/21 01:17 PM Can you use a full URL/path for endpoint?
MrD Offline

Looking to see if there is anyway to use a full URL path - for example : 1.1.1.1/ping - this is a typical endpoint that is used for testing by our developers. The endpoint without the path is not accessible or pingable; so we would need to provide a path as well.

Current documentation doesn't appear to allow it, just curious if there is any way to allow this or if it could be a feature request. I am specifically trying to configure an endpoint with HTTPS > 1.1.1.1/ping to watch latency/watch routing.

#3871 - 08/24/21 03:56 PM Re: Can you use a full URL/path for endpoint? [Re: MrD]
Poe Offline
Pingman Tools Support

Hi MrD,

Thanks for posting to the forum!

Paths like 1.1.1.1/ping are part of the HTTP/Application layer. PingPlotter operates at the IP layer, which is lower level than HTTP and only accepts hostnames, not URLs. This means that it's not possible to trace to a target like that using PingPlotter. You could use something like a sub-domain "TestingSubdomain.mywebsite.com" for your testing purposes. Keep in mind thopugh that Ping just sends ICMP packets it does not tell you if something like Apache is running and serving up content. If you want to know if a testing site is running you would need to send it something like a GET request which is a different tool than PingPlotter.

Let me know if there is anything else PingPlotter related I can help with!

Thanks,

-Poe

Edited by Poe (08/24/21 03:57 PM)

#3873 - 08/24/21 05:59 PM Re: Can you use a full URL/path for endpoint? [Re: Poe]
MrD Offline

Thanks for the reply - we are looking at methods to utilize ping plotter to validate Cloud endpoints in Azure - being that ICMP is not allowed, we need to find alternative methods of monitoring. I had hoped we could extend pingplotter to these endpoints but without a method we may have to cease using the product for this purpose.

Search

Who's Online
1 registered (Robertdee), 21 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod