Topic Options
#3864 - 08/12/21 09:58 PM Ping generally looks fine but gaming is horrendously laggy
WACK Offline

I have some issues with gaming where I have consistent latency that makes it frustrating enough that I have kind of stopped playing in the past month or two, aside from seeing if it was still happening.

BUT, my pingplotter generally shows basically a perfect connection. Very stable unloaded. Some spiking when I do a bloat test, but QOS largely solves that issue on pingplotter.

I was told by a supervisor technician that it is likely my upload bandwidth getting taken by the neighborhood. I had 10mbps upload that I upgraded to ~40mbps, the line has a maximum bandwidth of ~110mbps (according to his tools).

Because of the size of area that is covering, I would assume the logic that there just inst the bandwidth for upload is accurate, but is there a way to see if his assessment is accurate using pingplotter or another tool?

He gave me an unrestricted account to test if my problems were resolved, but it feels the same.

At this point I feel like my only option is to not play multiplayer games, but am hoping to point the isp to something they can fix.

Pingplotter last 3 hours pingplotter

Edited by WACK (08/12/21 09:59 PM)

#3865 - 08/13/21 06:33 PM Re: Ping generally looks fine but gaming is horrendously laggy [Re: WACK]
TJM Offline

Hi WACK,

Thanks for getting in touch with us - I'm happy to offer some advice!

Based on what I see in your screenshot your connection looks pretty good, that said it looks like this trace is to Reddit rather than an online game server.

To get a better idea of what may be going on while you are trying to play games online I suggest trying to trace directly to the server(s) you are playing on.

A good start to finding the IP of a game server can be a simple Google search. Or if you're interested, you could contact your game's support team and ask for the IP of your server. Community forums for the game are also a great place to search for this information.

If you can not find the server IP using the methods above, you can also try finding it by:

1. Close all other applications, leaving only your game running (connected to the server)
2. Run Command Prompt as Administrator and use the **netstat -b** command. Copy/paste the output to a text editor (i.e. notepad)
2. Then, run the command a second time after closing down your game.
3. Cross-reference your results. The address that displays in the first result, but not the second, **should** be your game server.

Once you've nailed down the IP you're connected to, try out a trace! If you don't get a response (100% loss), then you'd just need to adjust your packet type and port number settings accordingly by creating a new named configuration . Nmap is a great tool we use frequently to help find open ports/protocols for servers.

**Here's a [Youtube video](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Raj7tX0TUQ) which talks a little more about isolating the problem.**

For more details about interpreting results for gaming, you can check out these articles:

Interpret Graphs

Beat Game Lag

This should give you better insight into why your connection to online games is not what it should be.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks,
-TJ

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod