Topic Options
#3832 - 03/12/21 10:03 AM episodic jitter
Austinite Offline

I am having periods of high jitter. In these shares look at the time 14:30 where it goes from a pretty good connection to very unreliable. Spectrum has been doing some work in the area and I am trying to determine if this is inside the house vs outside the house issue. Thanks for your help.

Quad9
https://share.pingplotter.com/RzsVrmfqs5b
Google
https://share.pingplotter.com/E4Y3K6UMzcs
Router
https://share.pingplotter.com/ekJwg3Wkomu

#3833 - 03/12/21 06:03 PM Re: episodic jitter [Re: Austinite]
TJM Offline

Hey Austinite,

Thanks for reaching out!

After taking a look at your PingPlotter data that you provided it looks like there could be a couple of issues with your connection.

If you look at your trace to your router you will notice that there are latency spikes every few minutes. While this is not the only contributor to the issues you are experiencing I suggest at the very least restarting your router and checking for any firmware updates. If this doesn't help clear up there latency spikes and you haven't replaced your router in 4-5 years it may be time to start looking into a replacement.

In regards to your main issue of high jitter from what I can see in your trace data this appears to be starting around the 2nd or 3rd hop. I did a WhoIs lookup on the IP addresses for these hops and it looks like they both belong to Charter Communications.

I suggest first troubleshooting your latency spike issue at your router before reaching out to your ISP about the jitter issue. After that if you choose to reach out to your ISP about this issue (which very well could be due to the work being done around your house) I suggest running a trace directly to hop #2 (70.112.64.1) as this should make it respond better to the packets sent by PingPlotter. Once you have done this you can compare hops #2 and #3 to determine which is the source of the problem and relay this information to your ISP.

If you choose to reach out to your ISP I recommend looking over the following article we have on Building A Case:

Building A Case

If you have any questions about this let me know!

Best of luck,
-TJ

#3834 - 03/15/21 01:02 PM Re: episodic jitter [Re: TJM]
Austinite Offline

Thanks. So I do not think this is all the router. This is a trace done from a wired connection and the ping back to the router is really pristine. This is a trace from that. The jitter sort of comes and goes.

https://share.pingplotter.com/Q8kbBMmbsxF

I have the professional version on my laptop but only have the trial on the wired desktop. I know there is a way to use the pro and put an agent on this computer but it's an all Mac house and I do not see instructions for that.

Thanks,
Scott

#3837 - 03/15/21 07:53 PM Re: episodic jitter [Re: Austinite]
Austinite Offline

#3840 - 03/17/21 07:18 PM Re: episodic jitter [Re: Austinite]
TJM Offline

Hey Austinite,

Thanks for the reply!

After looking through this most recent data that you have collected it I think it is safe to say that this is not a router issue as your router results look great.

Along with that the jitter in the most recent data also appears to be much better than it initially was.

With that said it looks like the packet loss you are experiencing may be starting at hop 2 as I mentioned before. If you connection is still not what you think it should be you should think about reaching out to your ISP.

Thanks,
-TJ

#3841 - 03/19/21 01:09 AM Re: episodic jitter [Re: TJM]
Austinite Offline

I have the professional version on my laptop but only have the trial on the wired desktop. I know there is a way to use the pro and put an agent on this computer but it's an all Mac house and I do not see instructions for that.

thx

#3842 - 03/19/21 01:43 AM Re: episodic jitter [Re: Austinite]
Austinite Offline

Also - see below for a very good example of the jitter improving over a very short period. How can you tell if it is jump two vs jump three? It looks to me like #3 is more suspicious?

https://share.pingplotter.com/i8iweWgbq1

Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 12.27.10 AM.png

#3845 - 03/27/21 09:44 PM Re: episodic jitter [Re: Austinite]
Austinite Offline

Bumping this question. How to install an agent on OSX with a professional license.

#3846 - 04/02/21 05:42 PM Re: episodic jitter [Re: Austinite]
TJM Offline

Hey Austinite,

Thanks for the replies!

In regards to your first question about interpreting the source of jitter in your trace I suggest adding the jitter column to the trace graph in the upper half of the PingPlotter window. you can do this by right clicking anywhere in the ribbon for "hop, count, IP, Name, Avg, etc." and selecting to show jitter. Once you do this you can see that the jitter appears to start at the 3rd hop as hops 1 and 2 report 0.0 and 1.9 jitter while the third shows 38.4 (See attached screenshot).

CloudConnect agents can be installed by creating an agent via the CloudConnect Portal and either downloading the Mac agent or using the configuration link if PingPlotter is already installed on the Mac you want to deploy to.

Note that active maintenance on a PingPlotter Pro license entitles you to 1 free CloudConnect trace. Additional Cloud/CloudConnect traces can be purchased on a monthly or yearly basis.

You can find in-depth instructions on setting up CloudConnect below:

CloudConnect Getting Started Guide

Thanks,
-TJ

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod