Topic Options
#3734 - 08/03/20 12:58 AM Need Help Interpreting My Results
KirbyisGray Offline

Ping Results Hi there. I am currently experiencing packet loss at random times of the day from anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour at a time. However, it only shows packet loss on the first three hops. What do the 2nd and third hop represent, and is there anyway I can bypass them?

#3735 - 08/03/20 05:17 PM Re: Need Help Interpreting My Results [Re: KirbyisGray]
TJM Offline

Hi Kirby,

Thanks for reaching out!

The packet loss you are noticing is an example of these hops down prioritizing ICMP packets, this is nothing to worry about because the packet loss does not carry through to the final hop.

You can learn more about ICMP down prioritization in the following links:

Latency/ Packet loss
Blank/ Missing Hop
Initial hop(s) packet loss

Are you using PingPlotter to monitor your connection or are you trying to solve a problem? If you're having problems we are more than happy to help however we can!

If you have any questions let me know!

Thanks,
-TJ

#3737 - 08/03/20 10:49 PM Re: Need Help Interpreting My Results [Re: TJM]
KirbyisGray Offline

I'm trying to resolve a problem. When I am gaming, I get packet loss in game, and I can't connect to fortnite game servers, but it shows the packet loss in the first three hops and the final destination (which is the game). This issue is one of two, the other being some packets seem to stop for a second and then all come at once. Ping Issue #2

#3742 - 08/14/20 06:24 PM Re: Need Help Interpreting My Results [Re: KirbyisGray]
TJM Offline

Hi Kirby,

Sorry for the late reply.

In regards to the share page that you linked to in your response I am not seeing the packet loss that you are describing. I suggest trying to run a trace directly to the Fortnite server closest to you.

I found the following list of Fortnite server IP's on Reddit, I suggest giving those a try to see if you can collect data that reflects the issues you are experiencing.

It is worth mentioning that I can neither confirm nor deny that the following are in fact Fortnite server IP's but based on the replies they seem to be trustworthy.
Fortnite Server IP's via Reddit

In order to find the exact IP address of your game server, you could try this:

1. Close all other applications, leaving only your game running
2. Run Command Prompt as Administrator and use the netstat -b command. Copy/paste the output to a text editor (i.e. notepad)
2. Then, run the command a second time after closing down your game.
3. Cross-reference your results. The address that displays in the first result, but not the second, should be your game server.

Once you've nailed down the IP you're connected to, you'd just need to adjust your packet type and port number settings accordingly by creating a New Named Configuration. Nmap is a great tool we use frequently to help find open ports/protocols for servers.

Here's a Youtube Video which talks a little more about isolating the problem.

For more details about interpreting results for gaming, you can check out this article:

- Interpret Graphs (Gaming)

And again remember that the only thing that really matters is the final destination. If the final hop is showing 0% packet loss and acceptable latency, then all the hops before that can show all kinds of errors and as long as the final destination isn't affected, then this is an artifact of router configuration, and there is no problem.

If you have any questions or have more PingPlotter data you would like help interpreting let me know!

Thanks,
-TJ

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod