Topic Options
#3731 - 07/28/20 08:09 AM Can't see full route - FIOS and Eero network
cgardnerma Offline

Hi there. I am running Standard edition but can only see one hop from my gateway to final destination. FIOS is my service provider and I run an Eero mesh in the home. Any ideas?

Thanks.

#3732 - 07/28/20 01:51 PM Re: Can't see full route - FIOS and Eero network [Re: cgardnerma]
AustinB Offline
Network Support @ Pingman Tools

Hi there!

Thanks for posting on our forums, I'm happy to offer some guidance around Fios here.

When PingPlotter isn't showing any intermediate hops in your route, it's usually caused by one of two things:

1. Your router firewall is configured to block certain kinds of inbound traffic

- PingPlotter Port Use
- No data from intermediate hops

2. You're using Verizon Fios

Quite a few people have been having issues regarding this 2-hop visibility with Verizon Fios. Apparently, not all customers of Verizon Fios have run into this - it seems Verizon may have accidentally disabled TTL propagation in areas where network changes are being made to support IPv6 on FiOS.

- DSL Reports - has Verizon disabled TTL propagation

Here's what this post had to say about traceroute results with ICMP vs UDP:

- Verizon Forums

There have also been reports that performing a firmware update fixes this issue. See this thread for additional details:

- PingPlotter Forums

PingPlotter does have the ability to use alternate packet types, which in most cases, enables you to see the entire route. You can click Edit -> Options -> Engine -> and change the Packet Type to UDP:

- Named Configurations

Please keep in mind that this packet type is typically used for things like online gaming - server access, website navigation, and streaming services such as Youtube typically use TCP. If you can get PingPlotter to work with Verizon Fios using default settings (i.e. ICMP), this is the preferred method.

If you'd like to use TCP packets, you'll need to install NpCap, which is a industry-recognized packet driver (Windows-only).

Let me know if that works and feel free to follow up with any additional questions!

Edited by AustinB (07/28/20 01:53 PM)

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 8 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod