Topic Options
#360 - 12/11/00 05:25 AM Adding Other WhoIs
lsg Offline

The beta description says we can add additional WhoIs Servers (eg, RIPE) Where is this done? The "Internet" tab has a place for two entries but I don't see any "add" option or drop down menu indicating we can add.<br><br>-={lsg}=-

#361 - 12/11/00 12:11 PM Re: Adding Other WhoIs [Re: lsg]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Unfortunately, this feature didn't get full flushed out in the last beta - you *can* only have two servers - 1 that looks up by name, 1 that looks up by IP. At this point, it looks like there will be no editor for additional servers in the final release - although you'll be able to specify more manually in the .INI file.<br><br>

#362 - 12/18/00 07:52 AM Re: Adding Other WhoIs [Re: Pete Ness]
Anonymous
Unregistered

In your answer you say:<br>"Unfortunately, this feature didn't get full flushed out in the last beta - you *can* only have two servers - 1 that looks up by name, 1 that looks up by IP. At this point, it looks like there will be no editor for additional servers in the final release - although you'll be able to specify more manually in the .INI file"<br><br>And how do I specify more servers in the .INI file??<br><br>LS<br><br>

#363 - 12/18/00 11:18 AM Re: Adding Other WhoIs
Pete Ness Offline

More whois servers can be added by adding an additional line to the PingPlotter.ini file.<br><br>The following lines are the internally declared whois servers (there are not defined in an INI file, but manually added by the system - the following line is for example purposes only).<br><br>[Internet]<br>AddlWhoIsServers=Internic Whois Lookup, whois.networksolutions.com, name, Arin (IP) Whois Lookup, whois.arin.net, ip<br><br>Basically, each WhoIs server is defined by 3 settings - Description (as it appears on the menu), Server address (IP or name), and lookup type (Name or IP). The last setting specifies if it queries the whois server for the IP address or the name of the specific hop.<br><br>If you're adding a server that's not specified in Ping Plotter by default, add that server as the first server on the AddlWhoIsServers line (ie: don't include the 2 servers in the example above - as they're always included - no matter what you put in the INI file). If you have more than 1, just add 3 more comma'd sections (there is no limit to the number of sections you can include - although more than a few will make the menu a bit unwieldy).<br><br>2.21 beta 3 or higher is needed to use this INI setting.<br><br>Let me know how it works for you.<br><br>

#364 - 12/18/00 09:52 PM Re: Adding Other WhoIs [Re: Pete Ness]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have modified the ini file and it brings up the menu items okay, but doesn't seem to read the whole address.<br><br>For example, if I have one.net.au, it only picks up the net.au<br><br><br>

#365 - 12/20/00 12:42 AM Re: Adding Other WhoIs
Pete Ness Offline

Yup - beta 3 always strips the domain name down to a second level domain - I see this isn't right for domains that use the .com/.net as the second level domain, though. <br><br>I'm uncertain as how to determine to strip it to the proper value. Do domains like .au *always* have .com/.net preceding them? Is there a list of second level domains (like .net and .com) that you can use to know how far to strip a name down?<br><br><br>

#366 - 12/27/00 06:02 AM Re: Adding Other WhoIs [Re: Pete Ness]
Lars_Scheffmann Offline

Loc: Denmark
Thanks for the answer.<br>I added one server for names, and it works fine.<br>I have two suggestions, one triggered from the Australian problem:<br>1) Is it possible to group the servers in the menu? As it is now, it comes Whois, IP, Whois, next, next etc. Or why not put the build-in servers in the .ini file, so we can edit all in our own order?<br>2) Change the Name lookup-type to two types or more. Name-2, Name-3, Name-4 depending on, how many domains we want to use in the query. And one can put this into the Description, so it appears in the menu.<br><br>

#367 - 12/27/00 04:30 PM Re: Adding Other WhoIs [Re: Lars_Scheffmann]
Pete Ness Offline

Do specific who-is servers *always* need the same format of domain name? (ie: xxxxx.com vs yyy.xxxxxx.com). If this is the case, then your suggestion would work very well. If the particular who-is server can resolve both yyy.xxxxxx.com and xxxxxxx.com addresses, though, I'd love to figure out a way to only have to have one entry in the who-is lists.<br><br>As for your suggestion on grouping the who-is servers, let me mull on that one a bit. Maybe removing the default servers if the INI file includes some (and then requiring you to manually specify them) would be a good easy way out - or maybe there's some other similar way of doing it.<br><br>

#368 - 12/28/00 04:23 AM Re: Adding Other WhoIs [Re: Pete Ness]
Lars_Scheffmann Offline

Loc: Denmark
Pete Ness wrote:<br>"Do specific who-is servers *always* need the same format of domain name? (ie: xxxxx.com vs yyy.xxxxxx.com). If this is the case, then your suggestion would work very well..."<br><br>I am not an expert in Whois, but I don't think so.<br>I have looked at UK, they use SLD domaines like co.uk, org.uk, net.uk etc.<br>Looking at www.nic.uk/rules/rup2.html tells me, that they don't always use a desciptive SLD.<br><br>In DK we use the xxx.dk format.<br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Lars_Scheffmann on 12/28/00 06:50 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod