Topic Options
#3556 - 01/13/20 09:42 PM Large packet loss on second hop and random outages. Can anyone assist?
Helppls Offline

Hello, I'm very new to network diagnostics but my home system has been rough recently. While doing VOIP or playing online video games, i get frequent cut-outs. I downloaded pingplotter to make sure that it wasn't my router or modem causing the issue, and I don't think it is. Other people that use Xfinity around me seem to have fine connections. Any advice on what this could be?

Attachments
pphelp.PNG (198 downloads)

#3557 - 01/14/20 03:55 PM Re: Large packet loss on second hop and random outages. Can anyone assist? [Re: Helppls]
Hayla Offline
Pingman Staff

Hey Helppls!

I'm happy to help out here. It seems like, just from looking at the screenshot, the packet loss is beginning right at the second hop and is carrying through to the final hop (which means that we've probably found the culprit). I do see a *little* packet loss on that router - but a majority of the packet loss is coming from that second hop there.

I would recommend talking to Xfinity and letting them know that the IP at hop 2 is having a lot of packet loss issues. Xfinity can probably help you figure out what the device is at hop 2 (and spoiler: it's usually an ISP's demarc). Get in touch with them, and send them what you sent us (that image from PingPlotter). They might want to see the data itself, so don't uninstall PingPlotter yet!

#3559 - 01/14/20 06:11 PM Re: Large packet loss on second hop and random outages. Can anyone assist? [Re: Hayla]
Helppls Offline

Thank you! I'll contact Xfinity as soon as I can, fingers crossed that they can help!

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod