Topic Options
#3497 - 11/09/19 09:44 AM 100% Loss at Final Destination
praashant Offline

Hey guys,

Sometimes pingplotter shows 100% packet loss at the final destination only while the preceding hops seem to be working fine, what does that mean? I searched the knowledgebase extensively and couldn’t find an answer, can anyone please explain what it means. This happens quite often with many ip’s. Screenshots attached.

These are servers hosting online games and people who are connected to these servers are playing without any problems, so i am stumped.

Please help me understand.

Thanks
Prashant

#3499 - 11/11/19 12:49 PM Re: 100% Loss at Final Destination [Re: praashant]
AustinB Offline
Network Support @ Pingman Tools

Hi Prashant,

Thanks for getting in touch with us - I'd be happy to give some advice here!

In short, there are some devices/IP addresses that aren't configured to respond to ICMP echo requests - which is common with AWS and Azure targets.

The intermediate hops/devices are receiving what's called ICMP TTL Expired packets; different than an ICMP echo request, which is what the final destination is receiving. If you'd like to learn more, we cover this topic in more detail here:

- PingPlotter Port Use

I would recommend using either TCP or UDP in order to troubleshoot at this device/IP. If you'd like to use TCP, you'll need to install WinPcap (which gives PingPlotter the ability to generate TCP packets).

- Install WinPcap

Lastly, you can change your packet type to TCP or UDP in PingPlotter under Edit -> Options -> Packet.

I hope that helps - please let us know if you have any other questions!

All the best,

Austin Berner
Software Support Technician | Pingman Tools
support@pingman.com | (208) 345-0030

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod