Topic Options
#3352 - 01/25/19 06:17 AM The force has awakened
Brian Offline

Loc: Trelleborg, Sweden
Hi,

Newcomer just diving in to test the water.
I have lived in Sweden over 40 years, so longer than in the UK - where I was born in Wolverhampton.
Have a technical background, but starting to lag behind with some things on the IT scene. A good friend in the Professional Circuit thought I should spend some time with Pingplotter. . ( I had too many questions ). So day 4 I think I have the basics.
I recently moved house and from one fiber to a different fiber, kept the router and the ISP but went for an IPTV that hangs on to the ISP service, same with IPTele. Slightly regretting it now and will probably switchto a regular IPTV, but my wife is giving me hassle so I thought now the weather is bad to spend a little time with Pingplotter to see what turns up.
Pingplotter is providing loads of information but it can be daunting to find that exact fault.
Hope your answers will help me to find the way.

My fault I first thought was intermittent, since then I am not so sure but think I have narrowed it down, but still very uncertain.
My first worry was the fiber connection. I think Pingplotter confirms this is OK ( going from my router to the www.pingplotter,com. - if someone can comment.
I have read up on NAT and Public and private IPīs so I think this is clear but on the plot there is an IP 100.64.11.1 - I gather this is something ficticious – something called ”shared adress space ” .Here there is always 100% latency.
Moving on to the IPTV box. I started on wi-fi but it was terrible stopping all the time.
Right now it goes from the router over a Homeplug and Cable to the IPTV box ( I know I could have had a direct cable but I rewired the house when I moved so I think this is OK).
The plot is really different.
Looking at network meny on the IPTV box it says public IP 185.113.98.27
Everything else hanging on the router seems reasonable ( Android TV box, 2 x mobile, 2 x pad, house alarm, hard drive back-up )
The original problem has got better with time and after using PingPlotter I think I see a problem on the Homeplug side ( an ac 1200+ wifi unit ), will look into it.

Since everything hangs on a single fiber outlet maybe I could break it up with a switch after the fiber. Put the IPTV on a separate split.

Brian
Ah - could not upload a Word file - saved some screenshots there

Attachments
48 tim www.pingplotter.png (178 downloads)
public IP-TV.png (142 downloads)

Edited by Brian (01/25/19 10:45 AM)

#3353 - 01/25/19 01:12 PM Re: The force has awakened [Re: Brian]
Hayla Offline
Pingman Staff

Hey Brian!

Thanks for getting in touch. First things first, we here at Pingman are really jealous of your fiber-to-the-home connection. We are based in Boise, Idaho, USA - and fiber-to-the-home is tough to come by. Good on you!

So it seems to me that you're having troubles with your IPTV, right? What type of IPTV is it? And, you're hoping to diagnose some laggy problems with your IPTV. Yes?

If so - is your IPTV plugged directly into the router or are you still on wireless? Is the machine you're running PingPlotter on, on the WiFi? If so - I would recommend plugging everything in with a Cat6 cable. You can find a good and cheap one here:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-RJ45...ords=cat6+cable

Give that a try. I bet things will level out - and the reason I say this is, it looks like you have a bit of packet loss starting at hop 1 in your trace to PingPlotter.com, and it looks like it's carrying through. If it's starting at hop 1, we usually boil it down to some form of wireless interference or bottleneck at the router - and plugging right in can eliminate some of the variables that wireless introduces.

My theory is this: I think that you may be running into some wireless interference, or maybe a poorly performing router - and you can have all the fiber you want (still jealous by the way), but your link is only as good as your slowest device in the route. It looks, just from the screenshot, that things are getting choked either on the way to the router, or right at the router. Does that kind of make sense?

By the way - if you're having troubles and this is a little too much for you, we have a new Beta program called Reader where we basically monitor and troubleshoot your network for you. If you're interested in that, we'd totally love to help you out - you can find that service here:

www.pingplotter.com/reader

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

#3354 - 01/26/19 06:55 AM Re: The force has awakened [Re: Hayla]
Brian Offline

Hi Hayla,
Fiber from street to home after all the years struggling at 2Mbs.
You make a good Point of using LAn instead of wi-fi to get better results. I will move a PC to LAN.
The IPTV I took to the new house is called Boxer, it seems to have a bad reputation ( was mostly Cable in the past and performed well) with fiber they started with a Sagemcom TV box which was obviously a disaster. Even support said - best to use LAN. After buying I ordered a second unit, but this time they had an Android TV box which is really good even on wi-fi. So I have the old box until May then I can choose to drop Boxer completely or to continue, but change to an Android TV box. So this is why PingPlotter is so important. I am missing something or is the Sagemcom unit really useless.
I have noticed something funny with my Homeplug setup which I will double check and correct..
As I said at the beginning I will tryto get as much as possible to LAN to give PingPlotter a chance. I am still a Little confused how exactly ISPīs work - in my PNG there were 4 ISP hops and then this strange "shared adress IP ". So if you know of any good Reading for Dummies please pass it on.

Regards

Brian

Edited by Brian (01/26/19 06:56 AM)

#3355 - 01/28/19 04:07 AM Re: The force has awakened [Re: Brian]
Brian Offline

Hi again,
A large bit of luck this morning - the intermittent internet drop out occured at 00:10 this morning. So I quickly Went to PP to see what was logged during the night. I got a lot of good plots - all seeming to say the same thing - something happened at the router. But I still am not 100% sure what is happening - chicken or egg, and I have not yet had time to connect everything to LAN. Was it the fiber or the router.
The other strange thing was that I was able to switch on the TV from around 08:15 and it didnīt drop until 09:14 - but Everything else on the router (wi-fi) was dead.Kind of saying something on the wi-fi is causing peaks. I restarted the router at 09:15 and Everything is back to normal.The intermittant thing is a hassle I donīt know when it will occur again. I will try to split the fiber signal to Three routes 1. to the IPTV 2. to the router 3 to pingplotter This should allow me to see what happens.
I enclose the pics of the Point of failure.

Brian

Attachments
public ip fail1.png (122 downloads)
internet sunet fail1.png (103 downloads)
Homeplug iptv fail1.png (112 downloads)
Homeplug fail1.png (116 downloads)

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod