Topic Options
#3312 - 10/26/18 05:10 AM Issues with interpreting Pingplotter logs.
FastQ Offline

I play a video game, League of Legends, for a living. I've been having problems with connecting to the game for the past 8 days. League of Legends support told me to download Pingplotter to help diagnose the issue.

Pingplotter is showing ~80% packet loss on the first hop (my router). League of Legends support informed me that the issue was clearly with my equipment, and the resulting packet loss that I only noticed in-game was due to my equipment. Replacing my router fixed nothing.

However, from this post:

https://www.pingman.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2976/Packet_Loss_at_first_hop._Plea

I discovered that packet loss in the first hop is nothing to be concerned about. Is this the case?.

To complicate things further, a Pathping command to google shows that there IS packet loss, occuring at steps that Pingplotter, ran simultaneously, doesn't show.

I'm at my wit's end here, and maybe you networking fellas can be more helpful than League of Legends support or my ISP. Attached are the pictures of Pingplotter running to google, a riot games server, and the pathping to google (which never completed, though a previous one did. It still shows some packet loss at hops though).

Attachments
pingplotter6.PNG (339 downloads)
pingplotter7.PNG (166 downloads)
Googlepathping.PNG

#3313 - 10/26/18 02:23 PM Re: Issues with interpreting Pingplotter logs. [Re: FastQ]
Hayla Offline
Pingman Staff

Hi there!

When you’re trying to find the source of your issue, the final hop always takes precedence. If the final hop looks good, you can likely conclude your investigation without looking into the intermediate hops. This is the case for you on your first screenshot – that final hop looks great, so the packet loss at an intermediate hop isn’t carrying through. However, if we did see poor behavior on the final hop, that’s when intermediate hop behavior will bear some weight in your investigation.

If you're interested in finding some issues with a particular game or service, you'll want to trace to the IP of that service, which it seems you may already be doing! When that final hop starts to look bad, like in your second screenshot, look back on the prior hops' timeline graphs to see which one began the problem behavior. You can find more on how to do this here:

https://www.pingplotter.com/fix-your-network/getting-started/interpret-the-results.html

Let me know if you have any other questions!

#3315 - 10/27/18 05:50 AM Re: Issues with interpreting Pingplotter logs. [Re: Hayla]
FastQ Offline

The other image I linked was to my target destination.

My ISP is being pretty horrible regarding this, any recommendations regarding usage of a VPN or similar to bypass this?

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod