Topic Options
#3223 - 02/03/18 08:06 PM comb pattern plus sawteeth
Mement Offline

Hello,

There is a weird pattern in my pingplots. I feel like I only have it on this network (at my parents place, so not everywhere). Video calling is not possible because it is really jittery.
I hope someone might recognise the pattern.

Some information:
Asus N56 Laptop with wi-fi.
qualcomm atheros ar9485wb-eg
windows 10
things I've tried:
updating wireless adapter driver to most recent version
changed some settings on the router (I changed it back to standard settings after no effect) regarding channels, frequency, manually/automatic etc.
connection troubleshooting that is integrated in windows 10
restarting/resetting router
some things in cmd, like that it stops searching for other networks i believe
they all had no effect.

Hope you can help me in some way. Thanks in advance!

BTW, ignore the big red block at 1.24, it was because I manually disconnected. Not a connection issue.
Also, I can't really explain the sudden switch in pattern.. from comb to sawteeth to comb.. I am mostly interested in the comb pattern because it is so regular and is, sadly, constant over time and it makes it really hard to understand each other during a video call.

Attachments
www.google.com.pp2 (480 downloads)
www.google.com 2.pp2 (499 downloads)

#3224 - 02/04/18 05:23 PM Re: comb pattern plus sawteeth [Re: Mement]
Hayla Offline
Pingman Staff

Hey Mement,

Thanks for getting in touch with us!

That's definitely a weird pattern, and if I had to make a hypothesis, I'd say that pattern looks like bandwidth saturation (which would definitely explain the miserable video calls). If you check out where all the packet loss is originating at, it's starting right at hop 1 (right at your parents' router) and carrying its high latency and packet loss pattern all the way to Google. I'd recommend having a technician come out and take a look at the router, and see if they can test out another router and get better results. You can show them your PingPlotter results too; that might help them arrive to a faster conclusion and solution.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to be of assistance!

#3225 - 02/07/18 02:22 PM Re: comb pattern plus sawteeth [Re: Hayla]
Mement Offline

Thank you Hayla! I really appreciate it. smile

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod