Topic Options
#3186 - 11/21/17 12:37 AM 100% Loss at Conferencing Targets/
rbshreve2 Offline

Today [Monday 11/20/17] I was having trouble connecting with my account at TeamViewer.com. PingPlotter showed 100% packet loss at the target server. I reported the problem and they responded that they were aware of the issue but that it was not in their control.

I ran some comparisons with Zoom.us, LogMeIn.con, Skype.com, and Blizz.com. Only Blizz looked normal. All the older services had 100% loss on the last or target hop.

I tried different packet options but none worked better. I'm pretty sure all those services [including msn.com] that had 100%loss were not offline. What's the explanation?

Attachments
teamviewer.com.png (214 downloads)
msn.com.png (94 downloads)
logmein.com.png (115 downloads)
blizz.com.png (179 downloads)

#3187 - 11/21/17 01:08 PM Re: 100% Loss at Conferencing Targets/ [Re: rbshreve2]
Hayla Offline
Pingman Staff

Hey there,

Thanks for writing in!

Usually, when you see 100% packet loss, but are still able to access the service as normal, this is due to a router being configured to ignore or drop TTL expired packets, which are what PingPlotter sends. You can check out this link to see a bit more information on why you may be seeing this:

https://www.pingman.com/kb/8

On a side note, we decided to run some traces to these services as well. We did get the same results as you, which does point to a possibility of our TTL expired packets being dropped due to security concerns or load reduction. We did, however, adjust to use TCP packets sending on port 80 (mimicking normal HTTP traffic), which resulted in a successful trace to all of the listed sites. If you change to TCP port 80, does this work for you?

Let us know if you have any other questions!

#3188 - 11/21/17 09:56 PM Re: 100% Loss at Conferencing Targets/ [Re: Hayla]
rbshreve2 Offline

Changing to TCP port 80 or port 8080 does not appear to work at all. The screen shows no hops or any indication that packets are being sent. The default port setup works. I'll attach screen shots of my setup.

Attachments
Default.PNG (97 downloads)
8080.PNG

no packets.PNG (98 downloads)

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod