Topic Options
#3117 - 07/04/17 07:35 PM Min vs. max vs. current
Rae Offline

I am trying to understand someone's logic... perhaps you can help me or set me straight.

I work at home, I connect through an Arris modem to my ISP. 1. My isp says everything is fine.
2. my it department pings my router and gives me readings the first set: adv: 66, min: 59, max: 184, curr: 95
Sec. set: adv: 63, min: 59, max: 123, curr: 61

My question is this, if IT tells me that my max should be no higher than 150, and my current is no more than 100, does the max value have anything to do with performance if my operational signal is at a current of 95 or 62, no where near the 150 that is optimal for their max?

I understand that it is the data return rate that is being measured, and I understand that the average round trip is:66 and 63, and my current round trip is 95 or 62, what doesn't make sense is that my readings for current or average are not anywhere near 150, and those reading from what I understand are the data round-trip time that is currently happening.

I am being told that since my max is higher than 150 in one instance that my router/modem needs to be replaced. So, with that in mind can you please give me some clarification.

#3118 - 07/05/17 12:19 PM Re: Min vs. max vs. current [Re: Rae]
Kody Offline
Pingman Staff

Hi Rae,

The max latency certainly can have an affect on the performance of the connection, even with the current latency being much lower.

Even though your current latency is somewhere between 62 and 95, at some point your current *was* 184. It sounds like your IT department may have been gathering samples on your connection and collecting data over some period of time, which is why they were able to capture a max latency of 184 even though the current values are much lower now.

As for replacing of the modem or router, that's definitely not something that we could advise for or against, and that should be taken up with your IT department that is making the recommendation.

Cheers,
Kody

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod