Topic Options
#3065 - 04/26/17 07:09 PM Really weird internet connection issue...
Satchan Offline

I've been having this issue for the past 2, almost 3 weeks.
I am able to use the internet normally for 5 minutes, followed by extremely slow internet for 5 minutes, in a cyclical pattern.
I found out about PingPlotter and decided to give it a try.
I have been pinging several websites that are frequently used and here are some of the results.

From what I have read, hops 1, 2, and 3 indicate the connection between my laptop and the ISP, correct? Since it appears the root of the problem is between hops 3 and 4, am I right to assume that the problem is with the ISP, rather on my side?

Additional Info:
I am using optic fibre. All the lights on the ONT and router are normal. My ISP has sent me a new router, which I have installed. The ONT has also been replaced, however the problem remains.

Any help is greatly appreciated. As someone who works at home half the time, not having a stable internet connection is a huge hindrance.

Attachments
google.PNG (215 downloads)
Description: Google

face.PNG (205 downloads)
Description: Facebook

youtube.PNG (210 downloads)
Description: YouTube

wikipedia.PNG (227 downloads)
Description: Wikipedia

#3068 - 04/27/17 01:10 PM Re: Really weird internet connection issue... [Re: Satchan]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Satchan,

These are *definitely* some pretty odd looking results. Is the pattern of higher latency and packet loss always starting at hop #3 (or do you ever see it earlier in the route)?

We'd love to take a closer look at some of these results - would you be able to send us a .pp2 file (via the "File" -> "Export Sample set" option)?

Let us know, and we'll be happy to offer any guidance we can from there!

Best wishes,

-Gary

#3070 - 04/27/17 07:39 PM Re: Really weird internet connection issue... [Re: Gary]
Satchan Offline

Hi Gary

Here is a sample set for Google. I hope I did it correctly.
Thank you very much.

Initially, the hop 2 had very high latency. It then eventually moved down to hop 3, and then onto hop 4, and stayed there for the past 2 weeks.

Attachments
google.com.pp2 (452 downloads)

Edited by Satchan (04/27/17 07:41 PM)

#3072 - 04/28/17 12:38 PM Re: Really weird internet connection issue... [Re: Satchan]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Satchan,

It looks like the .pp2 file you've got here doesn't show the same issues as your original screenshots - so it's tough to speculate on what the culprit in your original issue may be. If you could send over a .pp2 file with a bit more data (a few hours worth of results, that show the intervals of high latency/packet loss like in your screenshots) - we'd be happy to take a closer look at that to see if it offers any additional clues.

In the meantime, if you're noticing that these patterns of high latency and packet loss are starting at hops #3 or #4 (which appear to be outside your network), this would imply that the issue you're encountering is starting with the first few hops to your ISP. It may be helpful to get in touch with them, and provide them with some of the results you've got here to see if they have any insight - and to see if there's anything they can do to help resolve this.

We've got a great guide that goes over some best practices for reaching out to a provider with PingPlotter data, which may be of some help to you here:

http://www.pingplotter.com/fix-your-network

Hopefully this helps out. If you have any questions, or if you should find yourself needing any other guidance - please let us know.

Best wishes,

-Gary

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod