Topic Options
#2940 - 11/10/16 01:28 PM unknown packet loss
dirkus Offline

hi there,
im new to this forum and this application and i have following problem. maybe one of you has any clue what is going on, every help would be much appreciated smile

my internet connection seems to have periodical breaks around 1-5 per min and each break lasts around 1-6sec.
besides that everything works fine and this problem isn't really recognizable during browsing or watching videos(eg youtube). during online-gaming as u can imagine its is a massive nuisance.
i have no clue what could be the reason for this and there seems to be no difference being connected by LAN or WLAN to the internet. also i tried it in different times and it appears to always be more or less the same.
since im living currently in the czech republic and am not able to speak the language properly, i can't ask or express my problems properly to my landlady or the internet provider. I hope anyone of you can help me.

thank you very much in advance
dirkus

Attachments
LAN-1h.png (223 downloads)
wifi 30min.png (220 downloads)
speedtest.jpg (110 downloads)

#2941 - 11/10/16 05:04 PM Re: unknown packet loss [Re: dirkus]
Phillip Offline
Pingman Staff

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hi Dirkus,

Thanks for writing into the forums today!

After taking a look at your screenshots (thanks for those by the way!), it is clear to see that there is an issue that starts somewhere between hops 1 and 2 that carries through to the end of the trace. What is the device at hop 2 (10.23.200.1)?

Now that you have identified the culprit being *most likely* the device at hop 2, you can start troubleshooting that device.

If this is a router, try bypassing the router and running the trace again to see if that changes anything. If this device is a modem, you might want to try a different modem (you may need to call your internet service provider to come out with a different modem if it is being rented from them).

Seeing how the same issue happens when you are connected wired and wirelessly, you can rule out the wireless as the issue. Also, your latency is great - so it is just the packet loss that is effecting you.

Here is a forum post with more information regarding packet loss seen at a modem or router - as well as what could be causing it:

https://www.pingman.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1077#Post1077

This article also goes over common network problems (which might be useful to you here):

http://www.pingplotter.com/common-network-problems/

Specifically look at the sections under the headers "Bad Hardware on Local Network" and "Internet Service Provider Bad Hardware".

Hopefully this helps out! If you should find yourself with any other questions, or needing any other assistance - please don't hesitate to email us at support@pingplotter.com. 

Cheers! 

-Phillip

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod