Topic Options
#2838 - 05/05/16 12:52 PM Upgrade resets the service account
LesK Offline

I noticed that when I did a minor maintenance upgrade that afterwards my configuration was blank and it had lost all my targets. Not a great feeling since I spent time getting it exactly how I wanted. With a little poking around I discovered that the upgrade reset the service logon account back to "Local System Account" from the domain account I had configured. This would seem less than ideal.

Another thing I noticed but have not done further testing to confirm was that when I edited some of the DNS names after initial setup that a reboot of the server they reverted. It is not clear to me when/how setting changes are saved.

Thanks

#2844 - 05/06/16 06:38 PM Re: Upgrade resets the service account [Re: LesK]
Phillip Offline
Pingman Staff

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hey LesK,

Thank you for using the forums!

I know how frustrating it can be to spend so much time getting something exactly how you want it - just to find out that when you open it again, it is gone! (trust me, this has happened to me before)

The good news is that it *looks* like you upgraded from version 4 to the new version 5. If that's the case, then you may be in good shape (as long as you haven't uninstalled version 4 yet). All of your configuration and targets *should* still be in version 4 safe and sound. You can run version 4 and 5 simultaneously, so you may want to just open up version 4 and check.

If they are still there, you can make use of our "Migrate" feature, to import all of your data and settings from your version 4 setup. To do this, simply click on the "Migrate" menu and select "Migrate from old version...".

Another thing you may want to check is that the PingPlotter version 5 service instance is installed under the correct user for your system setup. If it isn't, you can try opening up your Windows Services settings (by clicking on the start menu and typing "services.msc"), finding "PingPlotter 5 Service", right clicking and select "Properties", select the "Log On" tab and then changing the "Log on As" setting to the correct user account.

As far as the DNS names not sticking - we have put this through all sorts of tests, but have been unsuccessful at replicating this so far. When you edit a DNS name, as long as the target is set to save, any DNS name edits *should* save with it. If I could convince you to send some more information, that would be very beneficial. Some things that may be helpful would be screenshots, PingPlotter's .pp2 file, a detailed description of what's happening and any other things you feel might help me to understand what is happening more fully there. If you could send an email support ticket from within the program by clicking "Help" -> "Email PingPlotter Support...", then that would provide us with added information as well.

If we can get that, we would be more than happy to dive into this further.

Please let me know where this leaves you. If you ever have any questions or concerns, you can always email us at support@pingplotter.com

Cheers!

-Phillip

#2845 - 05/07/16 08:39 AM Re: Upgrade resets the service account [Re: Phillip]
LesK Offline

I did upgrade from 4 to 5 and lost all my setup/targets but rather than spending a lot of time trying to figure it out I just re-entered things and used it as a chance to clean things up. I did not notice a migrate option at the time.

The service account issue was after I had upgraded to V5 from V4 then the next day there was a prompt for an even newer version. That V5 to V5 upgrade cleared out the logon account for the Pingplotter service. Should be easy to reproduce. Oh one thing is we are on a domain and the logon account is a domain account and not local computer account. Maybe that matters.

I can do some testing on if the DNS names get lost or not and report back.

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod