Topic Options
#2817 - 03/14/16 12:15 PM Lag spikes
h4ni Offline

Hello!

Not so long ago I started having horrendous lag spikes. All day, every game. Basically, WoT became unplayable and today it started pissing me off. Right now I'm connected via wifi to router with 9db antenna (router is in bedroom and i'm in the next room, about 2 meters from it). I've played CS:GO (without problems) and The Crew (few disconnects, once a day). Browsers work on full speed. I've added speedtest, pingtest, ping plotter log and the replay of one of the battles with this problem.

Here is the picture of the log:

Please help me interpret the graph: what is the main problem? My network or something else?

Attachments
3login.p1.worldoftanks.eu.pp2 (467 downloads)
Description: log file

#2820 - 03/15/16 07:17 PM Re: Lag spikes [Re: h4ni]
Phillip Offline
Pingman Staff

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hey h4ni,

It appears as if the issue starts at hop #1 (and carries through to the final hop). So the issue is *most likely* between the computer and hop #1 (which is most likely your wireless router/modem)

Wireless networks are not always reliable - if you're seeing consistent packet loss at hop 1 (your wireless router/hub) and you're connected to your network with 802.11 wireless, then your wireless connection may be the culprit.

Wireless connections are almost always recognizable (vs a wired one) because there is a non-zero latency even inside your own network. Sometimes, this is 1ms - sometimes it can be as high as 4 or 5 ms normally, and sometimes you get regular latency as high as 250-400ms.

If you're seeing that, and you can somehow connect your computer to a wire, it may make a big difference in your network experience. If that's the case, sometimes changing wireless channels can help (from your wireless router) or even upgrading your wireless router to a newer one.

I hope this helps. If you need any other help with this or anything else, feel free to email us at any time.

Cheers!

-Phillip

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod