Topic Options
#2770 - 11/16/15 01:53 PM Interpreting results
mgill Offline

Loc: California
Hi everyone,

First thanks to the pingplotter team - super happy to find the tool earlier today and get it running. Easy to setup and see whats going on without alot of drama.

My internet connection has been flaky for about 10 days now and while web pages work in general anything that represents a significant download has trouble. What Ive noticed is any download that takes more than 15s shuts down the entire connection regardless of how much I throttle the throughput. Ive got a large dl capacity (100Mbps) but downloading at 2.5Mbps kills the internet phone and all other connections.

Ive included four screen shots below of four different addresses I analyzed for 5 mins. I initially was suspecting hop 3 on most of the traces because the latency started there. But now that all four have been running for a while the latency is dropping but Im left with a huge latency on my own router IP. Could this be a router HW failure? (Both modem and router were rebooted 1 hour before I ran tests)

What else does everyone see? Thanks everyone.

Images below:

• Charter mail server (my primary mail server)
  • Google.com for reference
  • One of the resolvers I use to connect to work (really bad conn currently)
  • Easynews download link (this is at idle, when active lost packets spikes to over 70%)

And a follow up......here is the summary view of those same four connections when I trigger a download from easynews - by the time the download is complete Im at complete packet loss across all connections.

Edited by mgill (11/16/15 05:49 PM)

#2771 - 11/17/15 05:00 PM Re: Interpreting results [Re: mgill]
Joshua Offline

Hello!

Sorry to hear your having trouble.

It definitely looks like there are some issues according to the images you attached. It isn't easy to get a clear picture of the culprit with only 5 minutes of collected data. What we need is to take a look at the timeline graphs at the intermediate hops. Feel free to send over any .pp2 files that you may have collected ("File" -> "Save sample set"), and we'd be more than happy to take a look and offer any advice we can from there.

The goal is to find a recognizable pattern in your graph(s) that is affecting performance at your final destination (problems that occur at intermediate hops, but not the final destination aren't necessarily something to worry about here). From here, you can go back and review the hops leading up to your final destination, and establish where the pattern begins.

We have a quick instructional video on analyzing PingPlotter data to help solve your network troubles, which you may find beneficial -

https://youtu.be/mC6RxYt5BW8

Once you've identified the point where your issue seems to be originating from, you can create a theory as to what may be causing it, and run further tests to prove (or disprove) that theory. The best methods of testing isolate variables (that you have control over) in order to better, and more accurately narrow things down. We have a great guide that goes over some of the best practices in achieving this here -

http://www.pingplotter.com/netnirvana/

If you have anymore questions or need any further assistance - please don't hesitate to let us know!

Best Regards,

-Joshua

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod