Topic Options
#2334 - 02/16/12 12:54 PM ping list order
qmgitdept Offline

We watch all our vpn tunnels on multiping and prefer to have them in alphabetical order on the ping list and also below on the timeline graphs. But when we add a new vpn or have to delete and readd an existing vpn due to vpn IP change, the alphabetical sort order is then off because changes are just tacked on to th bottom.

Is there not any easy way to rearrange our list and graphs to the order we want them in? thanks

#2335 - 02/16/12 01:30 PM Re: ping list order [Re: qmgitdept]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
You can sort the upper graph by clicking the "DNS Name" column to sort in that order. Once the upper graph is appropriately sorted, then right-click on any of the time graphs and select "Sort to match target list" to re-order the time graphs to match the upper graph. With the time graphs, this is an immediate action, and doesn't keep the graphs in that order as you add new ones - you need to do this each time you add targets to get them in that order.

Does this do what you're after?

- Pete

#2336 - 02/16/12 01:42 PM Re: ping list order [Re: Pete Ness]
qmgitdept Offline

that does help but i should mention we also add problematic network devices like tablets to the ping list and graphs. We'd prefer to keep all the VPN targets together and the extra stuff at the bottom. Maybe possibly a click and drag feature down the road so we have total control on the sort order would be handy. thanks

#2337 - 02/16/12 03:46 PM Re: ping list order [Re: qmgitdept]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
We've toyed around with some ideas here (for manual order), but haven't really come up with a great solution that still makes things really easy to move around and sort and restore - without making it more complex at the same time.

One possible workaround is to put your persistent VPN connections in with special names that will sort out (like an - or a * or a *VPN- or similar). Then those custom names will sort to the top and everything else can fall below it. Some people even use "group" prefixes like 1- and 2- as name prefixes to make things sort out in the way they want.

Just some ideas. We'll add your voice to the enhancement request for custom sorting.

Thanks,
Pete

#2520 - 04/10/14 02:43 AM Re: ping list order [Re: Pete Ness]
My Bad.. Offline

Feature...for next release?
Maybe allow for a new 'grid column' entry.. under Customize view.. say.. 'List Order'
turn it on, then edit each target with a number.. sort on that!
then go turn it off (untick it) if you don't want to see that column.
...as long as you can edit the value in that field!!
AJ
PS;
1.1 comes between 1 and 2 and 1.11 comes between 1.1 and 2
saves shuffling as you add new entries eh!

#2578 - 11/18/14 09:16 AM Re: ping list order [Re: My Bad..]
Mark Leman Offline

Can I add my vote for an 'list order' feature.

I like to order the target devices being monitored by 'distance' from me, i.e. the router comes before the servers behind it, this allows me to quickly spot the route cause of a problem. At the moment I achieve this by editing the DNSname to add a:,b:,c:,d:... in front of the description and then sort by that column. It works but is not that convenient, especially when adding a new target.

As the previous poster suggested, adding a extra column for 'order' 1..n and allowing a click to sort by that column. Then add extra context menu items to allow the line to be moved up or down the order, preferably with some +/- keyboard short cuts.

You could allow drag ordering when sorted by the 'list order' column.

Just to show willing I have bought a years support so a paying customer is asking for the feature :-)

Regards, Mark Leman

Edited by Mark Leman (11/20/14 04:44 AM)

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod