Topic Options
#2515 - 04/04/14 12:37 PM Heavy Ping Problems
Jeyge Offline

Hello everyone,
I experience pretty hard ping problems for quite some time. The ping happens to be quite good (15-20ms if I ping the telekom.de server) but then suddenly a huge peak occures (1500+ ms) and after that everything is fine again. These peaks occure randomly ever 20-100seconds maybe.

(see picture: http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?file=1061c6-1396629178.png)

Now I startet Pingplotter and saw the same problems there.
http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?file=8cd07d-1396629245.png

One question: What is the IP-Adresse 84.116.191.2 . I don't know where this comes from but the graph looks pretty bad. Actually it does not cause the problems. The real problems are in the peaks of 192.168.0.1 (my cisco gateway).

Information I was able to gather so far:
- Ping-Peaks occure not in Windows safe mode.
- My Provider tested it two times and said its not their problem.
- I reinstalled my whole OS (from W7 to W8) and problem is there again.
- A veery strange thing: Once I installed Western Digital Smartware the ping peaks are like every 5seconds... After uninstallation of that the now occuring ping peaks are there (more rare but still annoying).
- I deactivated my Firewall what did not solve the problem

I have no clue anymore... smirk

Can somebody help me?

PS: Another image: http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?file=f85a10-1396629493.png

Edited by Jeyge (04/04/14 12:49 PM)

#2516 - 04/07/14 12:50 PM Re: Heavy Ping Problems [Re: Jeyge]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Jeyge,

From the info you've provided - it seems like what you're encountering here is most likely being caused by something between you and your router, in your own network.

Your best best at this point is to eliminate any variables, and try to isolate the problem. If you have another computer in the house - try testing from it, and see what kind of results that yields. If you're on a wireless connection, try moving to a wired one (also, if you haven't already done so - try plugging directly into your router and testing from there). Steps like this can help you rule out potential culprits and figure out the root cause.

We've got a new guide that may be helpful here:

http://pingplotter.com/netnirvana/

If you have any other questions, or if you need any further assistance - please let us know!

-Gary

#2517 - 04/08/14 12:54 PM Re: Heavy Ping Problems [Re: Gary]
Jeyge Offline

Hello Gary,

thank you for your advice. I am connected via cable and face the same problem if I, for example, make a ping test from my mobile phone. Then there will be the ping peak at the pingplotter on the PC simultanously with on the mobile (which is connected via W-Lan).
I would think then there is no problem with my PC.
Any suggestions?:(

#2518 - 04/08/14 03:20 PM Re: Heavy Ping Problems [Re: Jeyge]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Jeyge,

At this point - the best course of action is to continue to isolate, isolate, isolate. Anything you think you can do to narrow things down (or eliminate any variables) - do it.

Personally, my next step would be to pretty much disconnect *everything* from the network (except for the machine that you're testing from), and run a test to see if the problem persists. If it does - odds are the router (or the machine you're testing from) is your culprit. If the issue isn't present when everything is disconnected - then start re-connecting things (one at a time - and testing each time) to see if you can pinpoint the culprit from there.

In the Roadmap to Network Nirvana guide - there's a printable worksheet that comes in very handy for these exact kind of situations. If you haven't checked that out yet - I would recommend it!

Please let us know what you find!

-Gary

#2519 - 04/09/14 04:11 AM Re: Heavy Ping Problems [Re: Gary]
Jeyge Offline

Hey Gary,

I was a little upset to my provider and they send me a new router in couple of days. I am pretty sure this thing is broke. I hope it is...
I will give feedback here!

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod