Topic Options
#2444 - 11/19/13 06:10 PM Really Poort Internet Performance
ComputerBlues Offline

Hi

We've got really poor internet performance.
I've collected some samples in Ping Plotter and wanted to see what you guys think.

The internet connection has never been great, but two days ago @ 3:25 in the morning it just got really bad. It's since stayed bad and is un-usable.

We've changed out the router and filter without success

It looks like congestion to me, but I thought I would get some advice. I need to take this to the ISP.

Thanks

James

Attachments
host-44-165-108-91.as9.ldn.uk.sharedband.net.pp2 (542 downloads)

Edited by ComputerBlues (11/19/13 06:12 PM)

#2448 - 12/04/13 03:55 PM Re: Really Poort Internet Performance [Re: ComputerBlues]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hi James,

Sorry for the delay here!

After reviewing the PP2 file you attached, it most definitely looks like you've got a case of bandwidth saturation, or congestion on your hands. At this point, based off of the information we can speculate that it's either a supply problem (how much bandwidth is available), a demand problem (how much bandwidth is being used), or a combination (but you knew that already).

If it's a supply problem causing the constraint on bandwidth - the real issue could be a number of things: electronic equipment near a router that's causing some sort of disturbance, a wireless signal interruption, ISP hardware, or something else along this line of thinking. We had one incident where someone had a portable heater near their router that disturbed the electrical line when starting up - causing problems similar to this.

If it's a demand problem where you, or someone else is overusing bandwidth, a regularly scheduled process could be running (that looks to happen around every 5 minutes or so). Look for a process running on a server somewhere on your network (probably) that could be using bandwidth. We recently had someone whose google cloud account was re-re-re-syncing music on a regular interval. It didn't look exactly like this, but it was similar. If you have a router that allows you to see where bandwidth is being used (DD-WRT or pfSense as some examples - we use pfSense here), it can be helpful in situations such as these.

It's always useful to try and eliminate any possible variables (that you control) you can before you bring this to the attention of your ISP. You want to make sure that the issue isn't stemming from something internal - such as another user downloading something; temporarily restricted pipe size, p2p applications in use, or possibly even a virus/worm type application that is using bandwidth sending out new instances of itself.

Hopefully this helps - let us know if there's anything else we can do!

-Gary

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod