Topic Options
#227 - 07/16/00 10:08 AM first hop missing
markb Offline

when i do i tracert to a site the first hop dos not show up and or receve 9999, but if if tracert only to this router it is there. if i tracert to the second hop it is not there, same with a full tracert.<br>using a linksystem router firewall, system is running win2k<br>in smp, if i use the w2k tracert or another like prg. the first hop shows up.<br><br>

#228 - 07/16/00 01:45 PM Re: first hop missing [Re: markb]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Is there any chance you have "Ignore first hop(s)" turned on? This option is set in the "View" menu - and will make it behave similar to the way you mention here...<br><br>

#229 - 07/18/00 01:09 PM Re: first hop missing [Re: Pete Ness]
Anonymous
Unregistered

no its off, i am starting to think it is the router at the first hop.<br>btw i am going though a linksys cable modem router, i wonder if this has something <br>to do with it, is it has a problem with dhcp and w2k a known problem<br><br>

#230 - 03/15/01 05:06 PM Re: first hop missing
Marc_Kupper Offline

Loc: California
Pete, I bought a LinkSys BEFSR11 router. It's a cheap ($100) Ether to Ether box that does NAT and some firewalling. I have the latest version 1.37 firmware.<br><br>When you are running a tracert through the box the first hop (which is the linksys) sometimes the IP address of the DESTINATION.<br><br>Tracing route to pingplotter.com [216.92.151.75] over a maximum of 30 hops:<br><br> 1 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms pingplotter.com [216.92.151.75]<br> 2 20 ms 20 ms 20 ms core4-g3-0.snfc21.pbi.net [216.102.187.130]<br> 3 20 ms 20 ms 20 ms edge1-ge1-0.snfc21.pbi.net [209.232.130.20]<br><snip><br> 12 80 ms 91 ms 80 ms pingplotter.com [216.92.151.75]<br><br>Trace complete.<br><br>When you use pingplotter it stops at the first hop as the "destination" is responding. I then set View / Ignore First Hop(1) and restart the trace. I then see the full trace.<br><br>It looks like the Windows NT and 2000 tracert applications continue to trace if they get a TTL expired from the destination. They only stop tracing when the final destination returns an echo-response. PingPlotter stops as soon as any gets any form of response from the destination, even if it was a TTL timeout.<br><br>Also, I said that the LinkSys *sometimes* returns the destination. At other times the box seems to act like a transparent bridge meaning that hop 1 is one step beyond the linksys.<br><br>I'd recommend two things for pingplotter<br>1) If you receive a TTL timeout from the destination then continue incrementing the TTL until you get an normal response.<br>2) Add a readme about the LinkSys that informs people of the first hop behavior.<br><br>

#231 - 03/17/01 02:15 PM Re: first hop missing [Re: Marc_Kupper]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Thanks for the report on the Marc.<br><br>I used to have a Linksys (I changed from cable to DSL about 4 months ago, and my DSL came with a Cisco 675 - which has NAT built in, so I no longer needed my Linksys) and didn't notice this problem with my Linksys at all - I wonder if it's a new feature in one of the newer bioses.<br><br>Ping Plotter does look at the IP that came in and decides that it's reached the destination based on the IP that is returned. This is the first time I've ever heard of a problem because of that. I'll dig into this a bit and see what it's going to take to change this behavior.<br><br>I'll definitely document this and add it to the FAQ and possibly the help files for the time being, however. I'll also check in with Linksys to see if they have anything to say on this topic. Interesting stuff.<br><br>I don't have any suggestions for you that you've not already tried - I'll keep you informed as I find out more - or do any work to fix this.<br><br>Again, thanks for the report!<br><br>

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod