Topic Options
#2209 - 05/06/10 02:56 PM Alerting on All Hops
SilverOpsSperl Offline

I am monitoring the WAN between two data centers we have. I want to be able to monitor ALL the hops in between the two, but the routes are prone to change frequently. If I manually enable alerting on each hop and one changes it loses the alerting on it. I tried monitoring 255.255.255.255(ALL) but that only monitors the target, not all the hops in between.

Is there any way to alert on all hops regardless of them changing?

Thanks,
Matt

#2210 - 05/06/10 11:58 PM Re: Alerting on All Hops [Re: SilverOpsSperl]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
No - there's no way out of the box to automatically create alerts for each intermediate hop. In most cases, you really only want to have an alert on the final destination.

There may be other ways to do what you're after (especially if you're using PingPlotter Pro).

Can you describe what you're trying to achieve a bit here?

Thanks,
Pete

#2213 - 05/07/10 11:29 AM Re: Alerting on All Hops [Re: Pete Ness]
SilverOpsSperl Offline

Thanks for the info Pete. We are using PingPlotter Pro. What we are looking to do is just keep an eye on activity across the WAN between us and one of our vendors. We use this connection very actively so any disturbances can be damaging to business.

We do currently keep an eye on the first 2 and last 2 hops, this usually catches any issues from us. However, we recently had an issue where a L3 carrier was experiencing issues in the middle of the route which wasn't caught by our alerting on the 4 hops we monitor. The route is also subject to change on occasion and we would like to avoid having to check daily/weekly to see if the route changed and to re enable the alerting.

Do you have any suggestions on a way to better monitor this through PingPlotter Pro?

Many Thanks,
Matt

#2214 - 05/07/10 11:40 AM Re: Alerting on All Hops [Re: SilverOpsSperl]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Monitoring the final destination implicitly monitors the intermediate hops as well. This is because data has to go through the intermediate hops to reach the final destination, so if an intermediate hop is dropping packets or adding latency, the final destination should show that.

If an intermediate hop is showing latency or packet loss that is not showing at the final destination, then it may not be a problem at all. See here for details on this:

http://www.nessoft.com/kb/24

With PingPlotter Pro we may be able to create an add-in that always makes sure a specific alert is always tied to all intermediate hops. Before we go too far down this path, though, we should make sure this is really necessary. Maybe you can send some .pp2 files to our support team (support@pingplotter.com) referencing this post and we can have a look at your data?

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod