Topic Options
#2094 - 03/21/09 09:19 AM Graph Changes -- Destination Address Unreachable
Zupancic Offline

I just read through the manual, and skimmed the knowledge base items, and seemed to have missed on how to do this:

I'm trying to make it so that my last 2 hops don't show up on the graph. Both of these hops are showing 100% packet loss. I'm guessing that they are being blocked at the host side for security reasons. I'm trying to establish a pingplotter for us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com, it's their login servers. My graph keeps showing just a full red bar, which I'm guessing is because my last two hops are 100% packet loss, destination Address Unreachable. Thought there used to be a way to stop the final ones, along with skipping the first few to a certain hop(found this in view). Hope this makes sense.

Thanks and sorry if I missed it in the KB or manual. And thank you for this great product.

#2095 - 03/21/09 04:12 PM Re: Graph Changes -- Destination Address Unreachable [Re: Zupancic]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
First, there is no setting in PingPlotter to ignore the final X hops - any non-responsive hops at the end, being unresponsive, don't give us enough information to know how many hops are there. Also, we don't have any facilities to ignore any intermediate hops either - so even if the final destination did respond, we couldn't ignore the hop before it.

That said, there are some pretty solid options for you here.

First option: you can just target the last responding hop. If the last hop that responds is 12.129.193.246, then just trace to 12.129.193.246 instead of us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com. That should do what you're after, although it does take that "extra" step of tracing to the final destination first to figure out what the last responsive target is.

Second option: you can switch to using the TCP packet type (http://www.nessoft.com/kb/51), which *is* allowed through the WoW firewalls (since that's what "language" the login server talks). Change your configuration (or set up a new named configuration, if you're using PingPlotter Pro) to use the packet type "TCP Packets", and then change the TCP Port to 3724 (that's the WoW login port). Once you've done that, you should be able to see the whole path to the target server.

- Pete

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 16 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod